I can no longer find my encrypted files

I had been using Windows 10 1.5.13 for some years and had encrypted files there.
I installed 1.6.8 on another Win 10 box, and pointed it to the same vault. It decided that it needed to upgrade it, which it has done, but my encrypted files aren’t there anymore.
My old, once trustworthy 1.5.13 returns

org.cryptomator.cryptolib.api.UnsupportedVaultFormatException: Tried to open vault of version 999, but can only handle version 7
at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:117)
at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:108)
at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:40)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule.java:41)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:56)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:43)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:11)
at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:110)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:16)
at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent$CryptoFileSystemComponentImpl.cryptoFileSystem(DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent.java:337)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.lambda$create$0(CryptoFileSystems.java:47)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.compute(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:40)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:301)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:93)
at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:134)
at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.createCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:121)
at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:138)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:107)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:90)
at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:44)
at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Now I no longer have access to my encrypted files from either installation. What has happened ???

With 1.6.x, you upgraded the vault to a new format that is incompatible with 1.5.x. You can downgrade the vault to the previous format: [1.6.x] Downgrade to 1.5.x

However, I’m not sure if this will actually change anything. Before you downgrade, what volume type have you selected in the Cryptomator settings under “Virtual Drive”? If it’s at WebDAV, try out FUSE.

Thank you. 1.6.8 is WebDav; 1.5.13 is Dokany
I now have 1.6.8 working. My Vault is in a Dropbox folder. It would seem that the installation of 1.6.8 created a folder on the local drive with the same name which confused me.
Now that 1.6.8 is working I am confident to uninstall 1.5.13 from my other box and install 1.6.8 there too.
How would I decide whether to use WebDav or Fuse ?

The exe installer of Cryptomator should also install WinFsp, which will then enable FUSE in Cryptomator. But you can also of course keep using Dokany if it’s already installed. Fyi, Cryptomator is currently only compatible with Dokany 1.x, not 2.x.

Thank you for your assistance. I am all good now.