I am unable to unlock my vaults - "drive is inaccessible"

It looks like I’ve finally been chosen by RNG. I receive the following (exact) error when trying to open either vault:

org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Volume$VolumeException: Unable to mount Filesystem
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.mount(FuseVolume.java:107)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.mount(FuseVolume.java:58)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:129)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:103)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:80)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:43)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: ru.serce.jnrfuse.FuseException: Unable to mount FS
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.MacMounter.mount(MacMounter.java:45)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.FuseVolume.mount(FuseVolume.java:105)
	... 12 more
Caused by: ru.serce.jnrfuse.FuseException: Unable to mount FS
	at ru.serce.jnrfuse.AbstractFuseFS.mount(AbstractFuseFS.java:287)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.MacMounter.mount(MacMounter.java:43)
	... 13 more
Caused by: ru.serce.jnrfuse.FuseException: Unable to mount FS, return code = 1
	at ru.serce.jnrfuse.AbstractFuseFS.mount(AbstractFuseFS.java:283)
	... 14 more

I’m currently using Sync.com, so I won’t be able to use Cyberduck. I did give Cryptomator permission to access the removable volume that my vaults are stored in.

The main thing that changed is that I’ve upgraded from macOS Mojave to macOS Big Sur.

I’ve updated the app from version 1.5.8 to 1.5.10 after checking for updates.

Please let me know if there’s any other info that I can provide that might help.

Let me know if there’s an option to pay for support, as I’d like to be able to regain access to my files again.

Big Sure and Fuse is known to cause problems. (Search for Big Sure in this board) There’s a fix coming soon and a workaround in this thread

1 Like

Sorry for not searching for similar threads. Do you know if there are any risks associated to switching to WebDAV in the meantime, whether it’s losing files or exposing them in some way to other devices on your network?

Why should the files be exposed just because you switch the virtual file system? That would make cryptomator useless, wouldn’t it?
So no, there’s no risk of exposing files if you switch the volume type. But keep the WebDAV restrictions in mind.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I don’t know much about network security, so I thought that using a port was not as safe.

Where can I learn more about WebDAV restrictions?

Edit: This is the error that I see when opening Vault via WebDAV, but it’s fixed after restarting the app.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already unlocked.
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:131)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:107)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:90)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:44)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Well, you can have a look at the known issues category.
You’ll find this: https://community.cryptomator.org/t/4-gib-file-size-limit-on-virtual-drive
and this: https://community.cryptomator.org/t/virtual-drive-shows-capacity-of-system-partition-c
(these are the 2 restrictions I’m actually aware of)

Another, quite recent issue appears on MacBooks with ARM chips: