How to use with Dropbox Business account?

Hi - I would like to use Cryptomator with a encrypted folder that lives in the shared portion of my Dropbox Business plan - the portion that all members of the business plan can see, not in my personal folder. When I add my account to Cryptomator, though, it only shows the contents of my personal folder - not any of the Business plan shared folders. Is there any way I can access a vault in the shared folders?

Have the same problem - was there a hint how to solve it?

Nopeā€¦ I was never able to get the app to work for a top level shared folder :frowning:

It looks like youā€™re trying to perform this task using the IOS app.

Does it perform normally when you use the desktop version of cryptomator?

Iā€™m using an app called Rclone to mount the Cloud Drive but at the software will use only this app is not available for iOS however it is available for Windows Linux and Mac OS.

I use Android App, but it is the Cryptomator app that does not see the top level.
Dropbox app sees everything just fine. Moreover, if I use Cryptomator vault with Personal Dropbox (not Business), it also works fine and sees all the folder structure I have.

I guess it is intentional constraint to move business users to more advanced Cryptomator plans.

I donā€™t think there are any additional cryptomator plans.

Now that I know that you are on Android I will test a program that I know about called roundsync to mount a Dropbox account and see if cryptomator Works although I donā€™t have a business account so I canā€™t replicate your scenario exactly.

Essentially this would be using a program other than cmator to establish the link to your Dropbox account.

OK, I reactivated my Dropbox account and configured kryptonator first using the desktop app and put all of the root files that I can see in the desktop app into the vault and then from Android I simply open the vault on Dropbox using the built-in Dropbox connector and I can see all of the files that are in the vault.

On Windows and Chrome OS which is Linux to me I used a program called rclone to mount my Dropbox account and you can mount with this software which is open source and free business account as well as a personal account I believe.

I can help you configure and use rclone on your desktop OS so you can use your file explorer to copy whatever you wish in your business account into the cryptometer vault.

On Windows and Linux I have access via a mount point everything in my Dropbox account and all I did was drag everything into the vault.

Can you not do this very same thing? Establish the Vault using Windows or Linux and put everything that you want in the vault into the Vault using the desktop app and then use the Android app to access the files that are in your vault. That seems like it should work perfectly.

Rclone rocks when it comes to mounting Cloud drives. It can mount more than any other app and itā€™s open source. Runs on Mac OS windows and Linux. There is an Android app too that is available on GitHub called round-sync.

Give this a try and if you have any trouble or questions just give me a holler. You should be all set with this solution.

Leo.

I have the same setup as @N_A - Iā€™m trying to use the Android cryptomator account to open a daily in a business account shared folder.

@LeoW - I think maybe you misunderstood the issue weā€™re having, or perhaps how Dropbox configures things for users added to a business plan.

Iā€™m not having problems establishing the vault in a shared business account folder - I can do that successfully on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. (I use all the three.). So thereā€™s no need to use rclone or anything other than standard Dropbox clients + cryptomator on a desktop environment. Everything works fine if everybody is using a desktop environment.

The problem comes when using the Android app - it simply doesnā€™t let you browse to / see anything in the top level, shared, ā€œbusiness accountā€ folders.

If youā€™re not familiar with the business account setup - basically, once your account is added to the business account, you gain access to an additional ā€œtop levelā€ set of folders, which is shared to everyone on the business plan. What USED to be your top level folder - the root of your personal account - is now one level below the root of the new business account top level root.

I suspect thereā€™s some API call in the Android app which just needs to be switched over from using the personal folder root to using the business account root, if it exists.

1 Like

I see.

I have no access to the business edition.

I used Rclone rather than trying to download/install the Dropbox client software.

Are you trying to encrypt all of the top level folders for multiple users?

I simply copied all of my data from the top level, into a vault. I did this in Windows.

Then, I access the vault with Cryptomator using the built in Dropbox connector.

I was thinking that since your problems might be related to how Cryptomator connects to Dropbox for business, using the Android version of Rclone might actually work for you.

Perhaps youā€™ll actually be able to see the root directory you are trying to get to.

Just a thought.

@cryptoguy is right. It has nothing to do with Windows / Linux. I also use all of them, and everything works just fine, except for Android. Moreover, Personal account of Dropbox works correctly on Android, too.

Now, @LeoW, to your questions:
We create vault at the top level of Android folder, then we copy all, or some data there. And it works exactly as it should work.
However, when you try to mount this vault from Android App, it does not let you see the top level, only your personal sub-folder. So, you cannot mount the vault on Android, unless it is placed in a personal sub-folder (one level below), which does not make sense because in the personal sub-folder only you (not your team members) will have access to it.

It seems a simple error of Cryptomator configuration, which just mistakes your personal sub-folder for the root-level folder of your Dropbox, I agree with @cryptoguy here, too. I just do not know if it was made intentionally or not, and how to fix it.

I will play with Round-sync tomorrow, but I am quite skeptical so far, since the problem is clearly on Cryptomator side. When I use Dropbox on Android (not the Cryptomator app, but a straightforward Dropbox app), I can see all folders properly. Anyway, will tell you if I dig something new.

Iā€™m hoping that the manner in which RCX mounts the dropbox account will be different than Cryptomator and actually work the way you want it to.

You will need to enable in Settings ā€œContent Provider Previewā€

I will try and make a brief screencast video of exactly what you need to do.

Tried it. Here comes the result:

1. RoundSync is installed on Android. ā€˜Enable Content Providerā€™ is on. Dropbox is uninstalled.

2. This did not help. Cryptomator sees only personal sub-folder in Dropbox Business, not the top level folder.

3. Moreover, Cryptomator on Android seems to not use local ā€˜cloud drive access programā€™ at all, it connects directly with Dropbox server. In other words, you may have on your phone Dropbox App, Roundsync app, or none of them, Cryptomator on android ignores it, as it has its own opinion what ā€˜connect to Dropboxā€™ means :slight_smile:

4. The worst thing is that RondSync also sees only my personal Dropbox sub-folder, not the root folder. Which is strange, because Dropbox app on the same phone sees them all :frowning:

IN CONCLUSION:
No way to mount Cryptomator Vault in Dropbox shared folder on Android so far. The options are:

• To keep your vault in a personal Dropbox folder and forget about teamwork;
  • To keep your vault in a shared folder, and have team access, but forget about access from Android phones. Only laptops, only hardcore :slight_smile: ;
  • To use GoogleDrive :slight_smile:

Lots of good work and some progress.

I was really hoping that when you mounted your Dropbox account with round sinc it would see the whole system and not just your personal area.

The intended goal was to use round sink to connect to Dropbox rather than using the internal connector in the hopes that it would work better but I guess not.

It was the only idea I could come up with that might have worked.

At this point I think Iā€™m just about out of suggestions for you.

Sorry I didnā€™t work out the way it was supposed to.

Thank you very much, anyway.
We tried. Maybe the developers will have a look and pay attention to this issue.

All the Merriest and Happiest :slight_smile:

1 Like