How to change volume type of an existing vault

Hi Cryptomator community,

I installed Cryptomator 1.6.15 on a Windows 11 64 Prof computer. The default volume type is Fuse. I created a vault, and everything works fine, except, that I cannot access files within the vault by CMD or TotalCommander. I read, that this would work fine, when Dokany is used instead of Fuse.

I switched Cryptomator VirtualDrive preferences from Fuse to Dokany. After that, Cryptomator cannot mount the vault any more. This is logical.

Do I have to create a new vault from scratch, when I want another volume type, or this there any way to change it for an existing vault?

No. Vault and volume type do not depend on each other.

Nah, it ain’t.

Is an error with an error code displayed? If yes, did you researched the error in our error database?

Regarding vault access: You cannot access the vault with a different (including elevated) user when mounted to a drive letter. Use a directory instead. See Cryptomator on Windows: Accessing your vault with admin priviliges

Hi Infeo,

thank you for your support and your patience with newbie questions.

Due to current workload, I stopped further investigating on accessing data in a cryptomator vault with CMD / robocopy, Total Commander and so on.

As recommended, I use FUSE as Volume Type for the Virtual Drive and Windows Explorer to access the data within the vault. That works fine for me. I am very happy, that I have a secure access to all my data not only at home, but from everywhere with Cryptomator.

Bfn
Michael

2 Likes
© 2022 Skymatic GmbH • Privacy PolicyImpressum