How do I enable Recycle Bin for the encrypted files?

Hey, you said, you’ve created a batch file.
Could you publish it again?

Thanks!

Bonjour Pierre Marie

Did you find the answer to your question ?

"but still can’t find any recycle bin "

Let me know, I just did the Registery change and it works - On Windows 10

Regards

I speak French by the way, in case…

Bonjour Alibabas,

Merci pour la réponse but I did not find a way to enable the bin.

Do you mean it is possible now to have a bin in a vault ?

Great you speak french.

Regards.

Hi Pierre

I am not an expert, I simply followed the steps described in the Discussion, decribed by mkatsevVR.
Where are you blocked (Which Step ?)

I did an example
My vault is assigned to drive “Y”
When you delete a document from the Vault, the deleted document is moved into the Recycle Bin from the Vault

1 - Vault and its recycle BIN

2 - Folder / File from the vault to be deleted

3 - File is encrypted and moved to the vault (this step and the corresponding encryption process is described into some other discussion from the forum, but I don’t understand the benefit of encrypting the document knowing that you can’t “read” it or restore it and most of it it’s stored in the Vault recycle bin. Therefore, protected by the Vault encryption)

4 - As I said I am not an expert, hence I have simply noticed that the deleted document is also available in the “general” recycle Bin accessible into the Explorer section “Quick Access”

I can see my File name and I can identify the original Driver and most of it, I can restore it !

Let me know if this helped you

Regards
P.S: as a new user, I can only post a single Screen shoot, I’ll combine all of the in one.

dear Alibabas,

Thank you for your answer.

I think I am stuck with first step.
There is no recyclebin in my vault, not before I delete a file, no after deleting a file.

Question is, how did you enable the recycle bin ?

I tried again manual step by step process to enable recycle bin but nothing happens but worse it blocked some stuff in windows settings and I could not rename folders after fulfilling the steps.
Fortunately I could reverse and erase what was created through the steps.

It is frustrating and a real problem not to have recyclebin enabled to avoid erasing files for ever.

All help welcome.

thanks

Would be cool if the trash would be as an extra function for Cryptomator implemented. Which could be enabled with a simple option.

I am now testing cryptomator 1.4 Beta2. Previously I have setup a Recylce Bin using WebDav connection, but now using cryptomator 1.4 Beta2 I can not get the Recylcle Bin to work, using either FUSE or DOKANY. Is it or will it be supported with FUSE or DOKANY connection?

I really like to having a small Recylcle Bin just to catch some accidental deletes which occur every now again.

Regards

Under ubuntu, you already have a built in recycle bin (the .Trash directory). I dunno the situation under other linux distros.
For windows, the the dokany project (which cryptomator is using for mounting the vault) has an option for an recycle bin, but currently it is deactivated because it causes some problems. Maybe in the future it is included as an option.
Until then under windows you have to stick with WebDAV or find some way other neat trick to get it working.

Thanks for this step by step details.

I set up correctly before; however it didn’t work after windows 18875 build update.
I tried to set up again and delete old entries; but it didn’t work. Of course, I reboot after edited registers.
After several hours testing, I finally found the solution. You MUST delete old “$RECYCLE.BIN” on the drive of vault( Y: , B: …etc), then mount it again.

Hi. Anybody still have any luck with this now on Win10? I tried manually, and with .reg file, nothing works. Thanks.

Just for clarification:

The workaround described by the OP can only work, if WebDAV is selected in the tab “Virtual Drive” of the general preferences. The default setting is not WebDAV.

As another remark: I cannot say if this still works.

That’s a bummer. Thanks for your help.

Because the discussion popped up on our issue ticker:

If you are using Windows and Dokany, there is actually a way to enable the recycle bin. Activate in the vault options the custom mount option checkbox and add --options MOUNT_MANAGER to the textfield (if --options is already present, just add the flag separated with a comma).

Afterwards, deleted files should be visible in the recycle bin.

:warning: But: This is an untested feature, do it at your own risk. On the other hand, report back if there are any drawbacks or problems, so other people considering it know about them. And who knows, if its stable, maybe it will be the default option.

A post was split to a new topic: Restore deleted files - no recycle bin

Nice! So easy to enable, too!

Works for the most part. What it does not do: restore a file if it was removed and after that it’s folder and it’s grandparent folder were removed as well: ‘location not available, a connected device doen’t work’.

You have to restore the grandparent folder first.

Also - I suppose this can’t be fixed because of the way the encryption works - in the vault’s $RECYCLE.BIN folder from time time you have to remove by hand the leftover files that contain the removed files info.

And - no pressure! - I feel a bit nasty :grimacing: to remark/ask: would be nice if Android had this as well. It’s appearing on more apps nowadays.

Hi all, a polite bump on this thread!

The earlier methods don’t seem to work with WinFsp, and the last method is for Dokany which is on its way out.

I’m using WinFsp (local drive, so it works with wsl), and would love to have recycle bin support. Anyone have windows bin integration working under WinFsp? Thanks

Hi,
Did you ever get WinFSP recycle bin working?
Thanks

No, unfortunately, and no responses as you see. I ended up just changing my workflows… e.g., in my photo sorting, I “move to folder” instead of delete, etc. Would love to hear if you fix it.