Help building and using cryptomator for android without buying license

I want to use the android app without buying the license. It’s not that I don’t support the project, I just dont want to pay for it.
I was wondering if it was possible to use the app without getting a license. Since they open sourced the andriod app, I think someone can give me a vague idea of how it is possible, or maybe even help me out with it. I know that I will have to modify the code, but I have never written an Android app before, and my programming skills are limited to very basic bash and python

Can someone help me with this

I don’t think that the Cryptomator Community will ever host a guide/manual on how to pirate the software. Please ask somewhere else or use this opportunity to learn programming. You will figure it out.

3 Likes

Go and check out this… How to fix android.defaultConfig.versionCode is set to -1, but it should be +ve error

I am really sorry, but I dont mean to pirate the software. Isn’t the code open source? How is it pirating, if the source is visible for everyone? Not everyone can afford to pay. I am not very good at programming, and I don’t think someone should be a programmer to use some software. I think it must to have to do with removing a view somewhere in the code, but i dont know how.
I do understand you have spent your valuable time in making it, but i am sorry, i cant afford it

Isn’t the code open source?

Oh… so you are going to compile the code yourself?

Here ya go…

https://github.com/cryptomator

Yes, i am going to compile myself

After I ran gradlew assembleLicsenseDebug, i dont see the apk anywhere. How do i get the apk? Gradlew gave me build successfull, but still no apk . Any help??

As far as I know, Open-Source is not the same as free, and I appreciate the developers open-sourcing the apk. But see Bitwarden, for example. It is an open-source password manager, but a license for a pro version can be purchased as well.

They haven’t open sourced the ‘apk’, they have open sourced the source code, which i appreciate as well. But can someone help me? I ran gradlew assembleLicenseDebug, it ran without errors and still i dont get a apk. Any help?

an APK File is a package file and a result of compiled source code. You obviously missmatch “to open source” with “to give something away for free”. And this is a huge mistake. If you want to build your own APK, feel free to do so, but…

1 Like

I am trying to make a reproducible build of the cryptomator android, but after following instructions in the README and building it, with “./gradlew assembleLicenseDebug” with no errors, i still cant find where the apk is located. Can someone help me please??