Getting "Graceful lock failed" every time I try to lock a Vault without being used by any program

Hello :smiley:
Every time I try to lock one of my Vaults (happens with all of them), I get this message:

Graceful lock failed
Locking “Vault_Name” was blocked by pending operations or open files. You can force lock this vault, however interrupting I/O may result in the loss of unsaved data.

I have searched for the process that may be using the vault using drive path (e.g. “E:/”) search query within “Find Handle or DLL” within Process Explorer, but I get no match, which mostly means no process is using it.

I know that I can click “Force Lock”, but I don’t like getting this warning while there’s no file opened or program using my vault.

Why do I get this warning every time, is it some issue with the settings or a Cryptomator bug?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I have searched for the process that may be using the vault using drive path (e.g. “E:/”) search query within “Find Handle or DLL” within Process Explorer, but I get no match, which mostly means no process is using it.

I once had this message as well and was sure, that no process is running that is accessing my vault.
It turned out that this message was caused by my backup program, that was backing up the encrypted files of the vault. After backup was finished, I was able to close the vault without this message.
Therefore, to me it looks like that not only processes that are connected with something IN your vault are blocking the closing without message, but also processes that are connected with the encrypted vault files as well.

If you are using Windows and Dokany, a vault is considered in use if there are files internally open. I phrased it this way because it might not be obvious, which program opened a file or directory,

I had a case where the vault was opened in file explorer (hence a handle to the root directory of the vault), even though process explorer with admin rights did not list it.

I see the same error (Windows 10, Dokany) sometimes on local vaults, always on Dropbox vaults.
(Only thing worse than a corrupted vault might be not knowing whether it is corrupted!)

K

having the same trouble eventually. checked with ProcessHacker, there were no handles opened for the DEcrypted drive, but the Cryptomator itself has open handles for ENcrypted files in the vault. can it be considered a ‘handle leak’ (just like a memory leak)?