Finder hangs after accessing files in FUSE-T mounted vault

As the title states, Finder freezes/hangs when I try to access multiple files in a vault, at this point I have to force-unmount the vault in Cryptomator. There is a chance that some files can be accessed after re-mount, but when I access some new files it might freeze again.

The vault is on OneDrive File On-Demand folder.

Cryptomator on my Apple Silicon Macs is from the beginning a nightmare. pdf and Pages documents often cause problem, the Finder is freezing – only restarting my Mac helps. The problems have existed since the Apple Silicon chips have been around, they just change from time to time. It’s really weak that they can’t get this under control. I switch between fuse-t and Web DAV (Apple Script), but both keep causing problems. I’m really disappointed and do not have any solutions until now.
(Problems exist btw on different Macs: my M1 Mac Studio, my M2 Mac mini and my M1 MacBook Pro – all with latest macOS versions; my vault is located on my iCloud Drive.)

I have the same issue I narrowed it down to the OnDemand function of OneDrive for some reason if cryptomator tries to access a file that is not yet downloaded. OneDrive doesn’t start downloading. This causes the freeze. You can work around that by right click on the encrypted vault inside your One Drive and select to keep files on the computer. The sync feature of OneDrive is pretty poor on MacOS I am rather sure this is on purpose from Microsoft.

One month later all problems still exist (now for more than a year). The fuse-t version I am using is 0.38, Cryptomator is on 1.12.3.
But I noticed something on my Apple Silicon Macs: The problems with the freezing Finder and the inability to quit Cryptomator are happening when my Mac was sleeping. It seems that Cryptomator and fuse-t (but also when using WebDAV Apple Script) cannot handle it when my Mac was woken up after sleep mode.
Can anyone confirm that?

Happy to find I’m not the only one.

Cryptomator is impossible to use on my macbook air M2 with FUSE-T.
Finder freezes pretty much everytime I need to open a file from the vault.

Switching to WebDAV seems to resolve the issue but I read everywhere on the web that WebDAV is a mess, so I’m not very happy with that solution.

I’m using macOS 14.5 and Cryptomator 1.12.3

Is there something we can do to help the dev with this? Sharing logs for instance.

When there is no FUSE-T, I do use WebDAV, but it actually causes the exact same freeze issue if mounted via Finder.

I suspect this is a network-related deadlock issue. FUSE-T can’t solve this problem because it essentially mounts the filesystem using NFS, which is still network-based. I guess the network requests of OneDrive’s FileProvider (for downloading offloaded On-Demand files) and the loopback network requests of the network-based FS are waiting for each other, causing a deadlock. These codes may run at the kernel (extension) level, which is why reboot is forced sometimes.

I don’t think anyone other than Apple (and possibly Microsoft) can address the issue. Best solution will be mounting Vaults using the FileProvider API, but devs are apparently unwilling to implement this as corresponding GitHub issue has been stale for years.

As others have mentioned before, the best way for users to avoid this problem seems to be requesting OneDrive to always keep vault files locally, which does reduce the chance of Finder freezing, not a perfect fix as I still encounter the issue sometimes.

1 Like

Interesting feedback.
Would be great to have someone confirm that from the dev team though.

The problem with files being kept locally is I don’t have the space for that.