Files don't show in app plus don't appear encrypted in Cloud

Hello everyone,

first of all thank you for all the work that has been put into Cryptomator in the past! I’m pretty sure my problem doesn’t lie with the tool itself but rather with my use of it :wink: My issue consists of 2 questions, hope you can help:

1. I set up cryptomator on my mac book (High Sierra 10.13.3) and on my iphone SE (iOS 11.2.5) to work with iCloud. On the macbook, I put the files to be encrypted in the folder with the readme file, got the mobile app to show them - so far so good.
    Then, in the app, I tapped the masterkey in order to add the vault. It appeared to work, I can now login to the vault with the password I set before - but the vault seems empty, although in the desktop application, it clearly isn’t. It would be less confusing, if the mobile app hadn’t shown all the files before I added the key … - what did I do wrong and how can I get the files in the vault on my desktop to show up on my phone again?

(phone says, vault is empty - but there are files?)

1. Funnily enough, on my phone the files of the cryptomator folder are still accessible via the regular iCloud app. And they don’t “look” encrypted at all, even when the vault (which still appears empty) is locked. Plus, files deleted in the Desktop cryptomator folder are still showing in the mobile iCloud folder. To me, this looks like encryption and/or synching is screwed up somehow but I can’t figure out how to fix this.

Any constructive input is highly appreciated,
thanks in advance!

Hi. Don’t put the decrypted files into the cryptomator folder (where the masterkey is). Put them in the virtual drive which appears when you open your vault on Mac.
The folder where the masterkey is located are the ones that are saved on iCloud. They are basically your (encrypted) vault. If you ad files here manually, they are not encrypted.

In iOS: Open the vault or create a new one and upload a sample file. Later on ( after sync) you’ll notice (encrypted) files and folders within the d and m folder on your Mac. These are the encrypted files that are saved on iCloud.

1 Like

YES, that does it! Thank you for the quick reply :slight_smile: