Files can be seen in Quick Access? - Windows

Even after I close the Cryptomator vault, the files still show up in my file explorer quick access. Though most files like word documents can’t be opened, pictures still can. The name and thumbnails of files also are shown in quick access after vault lock. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix this on my end?

Windows stores thumbnails in a cache that’s not inside the vault. Same for quick access filenames and path. That’s normal and leads to the behaviour you describe.

Please note: Cryptomator was not designed to hide files and names from your system. Its designed for storing online files encrypted and hide the information from your storage provider.
https://docs.cryptomator.org/en/latest/security/security-target/

2 Likes

Yes I think most people here know why cryptomator was developed. But the important concern here is whether these thumbnails that remain in File Explorer would actually contain any of the data from inside the encrypted files?

If the PC was stolen, could the thumbnails of those files be of any use to the criminal? (assuming the file names were meaningless)

Thumbnails are low resolution versions of your images. Whether they are useful are not really depends on its resolution and the situation.

I recommend you to Turn on device encryption - Microsoft Support, since you primary concern is theft. You can still use Cryptomator after turning on device encryption.

I don’t think anyone here actually knows the answer.

I don’t get it. Your question was answered. Yes, thumbnails are visible, yes, if you make a screenshot of your password, then of course this information can be seen in the thumbnail. So no, if you want to have your local files in your vault private against a possible theft, then you should use a system encryption like suggested. Cryptomator is not a suitable solution for local system encryption.

1 Like