Excel Upload Failed (Save a Copy)

Hi there! I intend to use Cryptomator for file encryption, however, under Cryptomator 1.8 an Excel file residing in a container cannot be edited and saved to the vault without resorting to make a copy, defeating Cryptomators purpose.
Microsoft Excel (Version 2208 Build 16.0.15601.20590) 64-bit shows an error “Upload Failed” in the status bar with the option to “Save a copy” or “Discard Changes”.
Is there any workaround for this issue? I saw posts about editing the hosts file, however, this has already happened and does not help.

Hey and welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face:,

I highly assume you’re using Dropbox as cloud? We have just found a bug that matches your description that is specific to the combination of Windows + Microsoft Office + Dropbox, see Dropbox + Word: Failing to save document · Issue #2880 · cryptomator/cryptomator · GitHub for more information.

Hi there, unfortunately that bug persists (I am using MegaSync, but the service is not running when the error occurs). By now, Cryptomator 1.9.1, the upload still fails, however, by discarding the changes once Excel opens the document again and saving/uploading into the vault then becomes possible.
Might it be that Excel’s Protected View in which the document is first opened, interferes with the subsequent saving? Is there any way to trust the files in the vault, in order to prevent them being opened in this protected view? Adding http://cryptomator-vault:42427/ to the trusted locations did not do it.