Evaluating Cryptomator - retaining permissions and performance expectations with Google Drive

Hello!

I’m excited about using Cryptomator, but I’m encountering some surprises.

I’ve been using NextCloud for a number of years, and that’s worked out really well.

I’d like to migrate my data to a Cryptomator Vault, and am also evaluating hosting that Vault in Google Drive.

A rather brief tests revealed some unexpected behavior -

• File and directory permissions are not maintained when I move files, or when I tar and untar files. I tested this with a vault that is on Google drive, as well as a vault hosted in NextCloud and a local vault (not synced with any cloud) - and got the same results. Explicitly setting permissions on a file (chmod 0644) in a Cryptomator vault has no effect - the permissions remain 0700.
  • Moving files into a Cryptomator Vault hosted in Google Drive is extremely slow. My Google Drive preferences are set to mirror files.

Is there some setting I’m missing or something I can do to address these issues? The first one particularly makes Cryptomator a non-starter for me.

I’m running Cryptomator 1.6.5 on macOS 11.6.2 (Big Sur).

Thanks so much!

Then it migth be a never-starter. Cryptomator does not support permission mappings. Every vault uses a fixed set of permissions, which cannot be altered.

Thank you for your response.

It appears from a cursory examination of Boxcryptor, to which Cryptomator is compared, that Boxcryptor supports file permissions. I like supporting open source software, but I’m going to shift my focus to Boxcryptor.

I’ve switched over to Cryptomator from Boxcryptor due to it shutting down. I have powershell scripts scheduled through task scheduler that worked fine with Boxcryptor when running in the background (run whether user is logged in or not is set). With Cryptomator the scripts will only run in the foreground (only run when user is logged in). Either way the computer is logged in with the same admin user. I’m guessing this is the same permission issue but if not any suggestions?