ESET Endpoint Antivirus causing very slow write speeds on Ubuntu 22.04

Using a mid-2012 Macbook Pro that was converted to Ubuntu 22.04 last September. Been using Cryptomator for years (first on macOS, now Ubuntu), and have always had ESET Endpoint Antivirus installed. Didn’t really think much about it … because it never caused a noticeable problem.

However, if I recall correctly, right after upgrading to 1.7.0, my write speeds (when copying files and directories into Cryptomator vaults) just dropped to near-zero. Indeed, the “Vault Statistics” would be blank for long periods during the copy operation, and periodically show speeds in KiB/s. These copy operations would also seemingly consume all system resources, presenting “Cryptomator is not responding” or “Files is not responding” messages repeatedly. All in all, it was a very unpleasant experience that basically made the system nonresponsive … at least when I was trying to add files/directories (particularly complex directories) to my vaults. So I stopped trying for a while.

I finally returned to the issue this past week, and searched syslog to see if I could identify the culprit … and, what do you know, “eset_rtp” was having a field day :upside_down_face:. Deactivating ESET brought Cryptomator operations back to where they were pre-1.7.0 for me. So at least I know what the issue is now, and how to address it when I need to.

What is really weird is that I previously had ESET active all the time, and never appeared to have similar issues prior to 1.7.0. Was there something about the changes to how FUSE volumes are mounted that might have made ESET give more attention to these transfers?

And, I should note, that my read operations do not SEEM to have been affected, as I could read files within these vaults (even watching videos) with no apparent issues.

I would like to get back to leaving ESET fully active and using Cryptomator like I used to, but ESET doesn’t offer much beyond “on or off” configuration. Any thoughts on what might be the conflict or issue? And a permanent solution?