Encrypted File names to long although the filenameLengthLimit was set

Hello together,

first of all I would like to say a big thank you to the Cryptomator development team for this great tool.

I am syncing my vault with the Synology Drive Client, which has a max. path length from 255 characters.

Cause of my default path length to the vaults root directory (where masterkey.cryptomator is stored) of 68 characters i set my filenameLengthLimit to 180 (≈255-68).

The path is the following “D:\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxx\xxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxx”

I create a folder with 11 characters in the root directory and placed the following two files (filename with extension from 76 and 116 characters) in this folder.

This than creates the following files and some other files and folders in the windows explorer:

File 76 characters (Path length:232) “D:\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxx\xxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxx\d\5R\7QXXXXXCRZE3XXXXXZVWHLGUXXXXXK\oCUXXXXXjGTXXcYhrXXXXXEiDXXTpdWXXXXXIadYLUg_XXXXXxEia0EQXXXXXyXRXWyS-oXXXXXA6LJct4XXXXXCNoSm9EXXXXX9Mf0aXXXXXe4YXR_3XXXXXXY=.c9r”

File 116 characters (Path length:288) “D:\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxx\xxxx\xxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxx\d\5R\7Q5HDMGCRZE3JQN6RZVWHLGUAGIONK\r79BXXXXX_FWNEXXXXX5ykXXXXXmC6ANXXXXX55NxQKXXXXXEkmfTgrXXXXXvDXbcOXXXXXdQLz2CXXXXXI50-3FXXXXXZWrDbXXXXXT_ki5XXbFeXXXXXT9Erx9mwJqXXXXXM3jKXE8nXXXXXNsVS7XiXXXXXynXiD9XXXXXjgiXXXXXg==.c9r”

Even when i set the filenameLengthLimit to a lower value, for example 50, the result will be the same.

Since the path length of the second file exceeds 255, the Synology Drive Client will not synchronize this file.

What am i doing wrong?

(All path and file names got modified, but the length is exactly the same)

Best Regards
Domi

You are not doing anything wrong, check if you have special chars (öäü) in your filename, this problem occurs even w/ RSync