Does v1.4.0 break any backward compatibility at all?

I read that some important changes were done in v1.4.0 and I wanted to ask if this breaks any backward compatibility, especially with files that were created with previous versions like 1.3.3 and 1.3.4. After installing 1.4.0 will I be able to read/open/decrypt all files created with previous versions?

Also, there was a previously reported issue with storing .exe files that were being corrupted. Has this been fixed in this version, i.e. is it safe to store .exe files without zipping them first?

Thanks for the clarifications!

Yes you can. Your vault ist automatically updated when you open it the first time with 1.4. it’s just an Update in the Masterkey file, so probably you dont don’t notice it at all.

Regarding exe files:
I do have unpacked exe files in my vault and did not experience any issues with them.

Just wanted to mention that the last vault format update happened in 1.3.0 and there weren’t any changes in version 1.4.0 regarding the vault format. You can switch between 1.3 and 1.4 without any hassle.

But I don’t really think that there is a reason to switch to 1.3 after installing 1.4. If you’re not quite happy with the new Dokany integration, you can always switch back to WebDAV in the Cryptomator settings.

1 Like