Cryptomator opens empty folder in Dropbox

I have used Cryptomator successfully for the past year or two, syncing files on Dropbox. My wife and I are the two users of the Crypto files via a single Dropbox account. Suddenly now, when I enter my Crypto password to unlock the vault, File Explorer opens to say “This folder is empty.” Yet, on my wife’s PC, the vault opens just fine. On my machine, in Dropbox, I can see that the D folder, the M folder, and the masterkey file are there. And D and M have numerous subfolders, just like they always have.

I have tried using Selective Sync on Dropbox to remove the vault from my PC, and then re-syncing it. That did not fix the problem.

I have tried to run Sanitizer, after loading Java SE 12. And got an error message saying that “…Sanitizer has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 53.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0”

I am unable to locate Java Runtime class file version 52 online. Might just not be looking in the right place.

Or maybe I need to try something other than Sanitizer to fix this. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Both of our PC’s are HP Envy 17 laptops bought in the past month. Both are running Win 10 Home 1809. I am using Cryptomator version 1.4.10. And the latest version of Dropbox.

Thanks…nick

This morning, I used my Microsoft Surface for the first time in a few weeks. Once it had finished updating Dropbox, and did a Windows update (installed 2019-05 Cumulative Update for Win 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4494441), I launched Cryptomator. I was dismayed to find that I got the same “This folder is empty.” notation for the Cryptomator vault in File Explorer. So, I now have the same issue on two computers.

I dearly hope we can get this resolved! Thanks…nick

Just to be sure: you have checked that all Dropbox vault files have been synced to you local drive? No smart sync or what ever that prevents the file from being offline and local?

Thanks for your reply, Michael. Yes, Dropbox is fully synced and up to date on the local drive.

Any thoughts about how I should proceed?..nick

@nicholasbenson you can start cryptomator, enable debug mode, unlock & open your vault. Try to browse it for a short time (~30s), then lock it again and quit Cryptomator.

You can send me the resulted log file via a private message. (E.g. upload it via Firefox Send and send me a link).

I’m having the very same problem. Starting with 1.4.11 my Folders on the Cryptomator-Virtualdrive are empty, even the whole drive disappears.
I just mounted it and the driver letter was there, I could see folders. After a few seconds it disappeards.
In other cases I could work with it for half a minute and store or move files before it disappeared.

In the debuglog I can see these entries repeating:

11:06:27.378 [Thread-1262] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - Try to open / as Directory.
11:06:27.379 [Thread-1262] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (130) / opened successful with handle 130.
11:06:27.379 [Thread-1264] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (130) getFileInformation() is called for /.
11:06:27.380 [Thread-1264] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (130) File Information successful read from /.
11:06:27.381 [Thread-1268] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (130) cleanup() is called for /.
11:06:27.382 [Thread-1270] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (130) closeFile() is called for /.
11:06:27.382 [Thread-1272] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - zwCreateFile() is called for / with CreationDisposition OPEN_EXISTING.
11:06:27.382 [Thread-1272] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - Try to open / as Directory.
11:06:27.382 [Thread-1272] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (131) / opened successful with handle 131.
11:06:27.383 [Thread-1274] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (131) getFileInformation() is called for /.
11:06:27.383 [Thread-1274] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (131) File Information successful read from /.
11:06:27.384 [Thread-1278] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (131) cleanup() is called for /.
11:06:27.385 [Thread-1281] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (131) closeFile() is called for /.
11:06:27.385 [Thread-1282] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - zwCreateFile() is called for / with CreationDisposition OPEN_EXISTING.
11:06:27.385 [Thread-1282] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - Try to open / as Directory.
11:06:27.385 [Thread-1282] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (132) / opened successful with handle 132.
11:06:27.386 [Thread-1284] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (132) getFileInformation() is called for /.
11:06:27.386 [Thread-1284] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (132) File Information successful read from /.
11:06:27.387 [Thread-1288] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (132) cleanup() is called for /.
11:06:27.388 [Thread-1290] TRACE o.c.frontend.dokany.ReadWriteAdapter - (132) closeFile() is called for /.

Workaround see this post:

I had a look into the log file. Unfortunatley you didn’t enabled debug mode, so the content was rather sparse. On the good side, it didn’t displayed any errors or warnings.

Does the numerous folders of your vault also contain files? If not, then the synchronization is incomplete. (Choose any encrypted file on another machine where the vault is displayed and see if it is also present on your machine)

Regarding Sanitizer:

1. Open a terminal
  2. type java --version and hit enter

What version is displayed? If it is Java 8 (or 1.8), you need to upgrade your Java Runtime. Oracle ships an installer with it, you can find it here: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk12-downloads-5295953.html

If this is still not working, have a look at this instruction to install Java manually: https://stackoverflow.com/a/52531093
There another version of Java (openJDK) is discussed, but from step 2 its the same.

Hi, infeo. Here is the link to another log file. I am confident that I enabled debug this time.

I am glad the file sent previously did not show any errors or warnings. I noticed that the log file this time is 110KB in size, whereas all the previous log files I created were 1KB to 8KB in size. I have no idea of that is significant, tho.

Thanks very much…nick

I had a look into the log file. It seems like that Cryptomator tries to open directories as files (or am I mistaken that e.g. “monthly bills” is directory).

Before thinking about data corruption, what is your current Dokany Version? And does this also happen when you switch the unlocked vault provider from Dokany to WebDAV? (to be found in the general settings)

Good morning, Infeo. Monthly Bills is a folder, with about 1200 files in it.

I just tried changing from Dokany to WebDAV. Still, the vault shows as being empty, except for one “test.file”. The WebDAV port is 42427. I am using version 1.4.11 of Cryptomator. I don’t how to ascertain what the current Dokany version is.

Here is the link to the Firefox Send site for the log file of when I tried to open the vault just now, using the debug mode with WebDAV: https://send.firefox.com/download/5694f30211089c28/#R053_6Jol6qkb2zf-rk3-w

BTW, in the meantime, i have done a work-around. Using another computer on our home network that runs Cryptomator, I was able to copy all the files into a new Cryptomator vault. And then sync’d that on Dropbox. And I can readily open that new vault on my main machine.

Still, it could be useful to know why the problem happened in the first place. Thanks!..nick

I discussed this with the other developers and one remembered a similar case: Files not available except when using Android App

We fixed a bug in our synchronisation conflict resolver for 1.4.10. So if you updated to 1.4.10, the faulty resolve stated the same.

! Before you execute the below command, read the whole post and make a backup of your vault !

The shell-commands given in the other thread are only for linux and mac, so i figured one out for powershell/windows:
Get-Childitem -File -Depth 3 -Recurse | Where-Object{ $_.Length -eq 36 -and $_.Name -notlike "0*"} | Rename-Item -NewName {"0"+$_.Name}

It finds all directory files, which are not marked as such (size of 36bytes but no leading “0” in the name) and adds the missing zero.

You need to start powershell and navigate to the d folder of your cryptomator vault. Then enter the command and hit enter.

I have recently run into the same issue and have read the help files and don’t find a solution. I’ve had no problems with accessing my Cryptomator directories from any of my devices, whether windows or Android until several weeks ago.

My directory is located on Dropbox and most of the directories and files are online with the Dropbox server, however, I have selected my Cryptomator directory to be local, on my hard-drive. All the directories and files within the Cryptomator directory are showing being local also.

When I open the directory using the Cryptomator App, version 1.5.13 (exe-2755.216), on this computer is shows empty, but on my other Windows based computer and my Android devices, I can access the files just fine.

I’ve tried uninstalling the App, along with the Dokan Library. I reinstalled the App and the Dokan Library v. 1.4.1.1000 (x64). I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS build 19042.844.

I’m thinking it probably has something to do with Dropbox, but I don’t have any further ideas on what to do. Any ideas that I can try?

Thanks…

I think I have the exact same problem as @relmers . I have opened a new topic here: Cryptomator shows empty folder on Windows 10. Files are fine in Android app