Cryptomator for MacOS Monterey asks my cloud credentials

Hello,

I just purchased this software from the App Store for MacOS Monterey, so I assume I have the latest version.
When creating the vault for cloud services, it asks my credentials, why? It should not ask the credentials, I see it as a malicious activity, if you allow me.

For example, in my case I’m using OneDrive, I’ve created a separate volume due to missing support for case-sensitive by OneDrive.
I sync there all the files from OneDrive, so I expect to use one of the subfolders as the Cryptomator vault, but I don’t see this option, may I know why?
The first question is more important though…

Can someone reply soon please?
I don’t see the reason for such action, so I’d like to ask for a refund through the Apple Store if there is no technical reason for it :slight_smile: .

If you are using the mobile app, it is normal to ask you for your cloud credentials.

The reason is, that the mobile apps work differently from the desktop app. The first connect directly with the cloud storages, while the latter only operate on your local filesystem and let cloud sync task to some other application.

Thanks for the answer.
I’m using MacOS Monterey on M1 CPU, is it possible that it downloaded automatically the version for ARM, which is potentially the same as the one for iOS?

I noticed that with iCloud it doesn’t happen, which is always about a folder in the local file system, I don’t understand why it happens with all the other methods, it must be an issue or the case described in the message above.

It looks like you installed the iOS app which is technically possible, but currently we recommend using the desktop app downloaded from https://cryptomator.org/downloads/ so you can work with your files as you are familiar with it.

1 Like

Can I know why the mobile app has the need to connect online?
Once the directories are created in the local file system, it should be fine.
Unless iOS has restrictions on the app, and in somehow the login unlocks that portion…

Well, because when we launched the mobile apps, there was no alternative but to communicate directly with the cloud. Files integration in iOS and document providers in Android were added to the operating systems later. In the new iOS app, we now have the files integration implemented and would theoretically no longer need to support any cloud directly within our app, but not all cloud vendors offer an app that supports files integration to communicate with cloud xy.