Cryptomator for Android is now available via our F-Droid repository

Cryptomator for Android is now available via our F-Droid repository! :tada:

You can get the app via different methods now:

1. Google Play Store
  2. APK Download on our website
  3. Cryptomator’s F-Droid repo
  4. GitHub (release or build from source)
4 Likes

Is it still available? Cannot find it on FDroid. And is it the promised “decryption only for free” variant?

Yes, it is in our repository, see Setup — Cryptomator 1.7.0 documentation for further information.

Bringing the app in the main repository is still our interest but isn’t that easy, if you’re interested in details, follow the discussion in this packaging request: cryptomator-android (#713) · Issues · F-Droid / Requests For Packaging · GitLab

Currently the app in F-Droid requires an license key bought on Cryptomator for Android. This will change as soon as we switch to the freemium model, then the license key is not mandatory for read-only access.

Ok, these are awesome news! Bought cryptomator twice now (android and iPad), but being able to decrypt for free is awesome.

Hopefully there will be no need for a monthly/ yearly subscription. That would be awful :open_mouth: :cry:

then what’s the license key required for?

for writing?

Yes, the paid version unlocks write access, but at the moment the freemium model and read-only access is not yet implemented, so at the moment you need a license key in any case.

Which source will have the most recent builds first available? Cryptomator’s F-Droid repo or F-Droid proper? I’m to understand F-Droid, the organization, has a vetting process before adding any packages. I am concerned of its delay doing so.

We publish to our own repo instantaneously after building, but the delay of F-Droid should be insignificant (I guess a few hours max).
Maybe @SailReal knows some rough numbers?

1 Like

That’s quite all right, thank you. I’ll set up to pull directly from Skymatic UG’s repos.

The main F-Droid repo does have build cycles and if e.g. the build fails of one app it can (and already happened) take up to days until the version is available, see also FAQ - App Developers | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

If you want to have the version as fast as possible, our repo is your best option. Publishing it is part of our Fastlane release pipeline