Cryptomator fails to start on Ubuntu MATE 16.04

Basic Info

Package ‘cryptomator-1.3.2-i386.deb’ was installed on a 32-bit Ubuntu MATE 16.04 with OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-8u181-b13-1ubuntu0.16.04.1-b13) as the only one alternative in link group java.

Description

Lintian finishes with exit status 1, see Lintian output and other error logfiles.

There is no /usr/bin/cryptomator.sh to run.

Executing /opt/Cryptomator/Cryptomator fails with Segmentation fault (core dumped) (see error log files referenced above). From what I have researched this is probably a Java related problem.

Executing java -jar /opt/Cryptomator/app/Cryptomator-1.3.2.jar fails with Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.

There are similarities to:

• Starting Cryptomator 1.2.0 on Linux with OpenJDK 9 fails #390 (but I am already using OpenJDK 8)
  • Cryptomator is totally broken on Linux Mint 18 and java JRE 1.8.0 #432 (but I am not using Oracle JRE)
  • Cryptomator doesn’t start: access violation #523 (but workaround has no effect for me)
  • ubuntu - app fails to start #559 (but I am using java-8-openjdk-i386)
  • Cryptomator 1.4.0 refused to start on ArchLinux #763 (but I am using java-8-openjdk-i386)
  • Cryptomator fails to start on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (but I am using java-8-openjdk-i386)

Better late than never: Cryptomator 1.3.x still required JavaFX, which was not part of OpenJDK. That is why running it via java -jar with OpenJDK failed.

In the meantime this has changed. Cryptomator 1.4.x is based on OpenJDK 11 and can run on basically any 64 bit Java 11 JRE.

I am trying to get 1.3.x for Java running on a 32-bit machine with Debian Buster. How can I get JavaFX and will different versions of it run just as well as each other?

In theory it shouldn’t matter which JRE you choose as long as you provide JavaFX. We can not provide support for this version due to missing support of upstream packages, but I have two hints:

• if you download the Oracle JDK (for example from the webupd8 PPA), JavaFX is included
  • if you install openjdk from the default package repo, you also need the openjfx package
1 Like