Copying bigger files to drive created by cryptomator is slow

copying files on a drive created by Cryptomator on my mac m1 is very slow compared to copying it on some other location. Usually, I don’t even notice copying a file because of nvme SSD but when copying a file(12 GB) in the drive it gives around 40MB/s. The same file when copied to the desktop took only a couple of seconds.

which volume type are you sing? If Webdav, please try FUSE.

its FUSE. Could the reason of slow copying be on-the-fly encryption?

No, you shouldn’t even notice the encryption.
If there’s nothing suspicious in the log file, I do not have any ideas yet why you are experiencing this performance issues.

here I’ve included the demo in the video(edited to include important parts). [deleted by Michael. Video shows copy process of 13GB video file that takes about 5 minutes]

And the logs files contain repeated chunks of this:

07:59:09.227 [Thread-20147] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Released read path lock for '[]'
07:59:09.227 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Acquired read path lock for '[]'
07:59:09.227 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Acquired read path lock for '[, videofile.mkv]'
07:59:09.227 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.DataWLockImpl - Acquired write data lock for '[, videofile.mkv]'
07:59:09.227 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadWriteAdapter - write 65536 bytes to file /videofile.mkv starting at 6204686336...
07:59:09.228 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.frontend.fuse.ReadWriteAdapter - wrote 65536 bytes to file /videofile.mkv.
07:59:09.228 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.DataWLockImpl - Released write data lock for '[, videofile.mkv]'
07:59:09.228 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Released read path lock for '[, videofile.mkv]'
07:59:09.228 [Thread-20133] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Released read path lock for '[]'
07:59:09.228 [Thread-20125] TRACE o.c.f.fuse.locks.PathRLockImpl - Acquired read path lock for '[]'

If there is something specific you want me to grep then let me know.
[Edited by Michael: anonymised filenames in log. Deleted link to youtube. I highly recommend to take down that youtube video :slight_smile: ]

Hello! Could you send me the direct message too? Thanks!

The youtube video only included important parts. The file was copying very slowly indeed. @Michael any reason you suspect for the slow copying? Also, why did you recommend to take down the video?

Unfortunately I do not have an idea why your copy process is so slow. Maybe someone else has?

Because it does show exactly what content and source your video file is, and I am not sure if you want the world to know that. I wouldn’t.

which direct message?

Having Debug-Mode always enabled slows down vault access significantly.

1 Like

I only enabled debug logs for the demo purpose. before this, the enabled logs option was turned off.