Cannot unlock vault after moving to new computer

I have four vaults on an HDD. Recently I moved to a new computer. I am trying to access the vaults. Three of them work just fine, but with the fourth I get this error message. From log:

00:12:54.364 [JavaFX Application Thread] WARN  o.c.keychain.KeychainManager - LOAD
00:13:04.946 [App Background Thread 006] ERROR o.c.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow - Unlock failed for technical reasons.
java.io.IOException: Error during file system creation.
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:53)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:302)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:94)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:135)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlockCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:120)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.lambda$getCryptoFileSystem$0(Vault.java:98)
	at org.cryptomator.common.LazyInitializer.lambda$invokeFactoryIfNull$1(LazyInitializer.java:62)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.atomic.AtomicReference.updateAndGet(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.common.LazyInitializer.initializeLazily(LazyInitializer.java:49)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.getCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:98)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:127)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:103)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:80)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:43)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.UncheckedIOException: java.nio.file.FileAlreadyExistsException: D:\Archiv\d\AH\BZRNKW4KU5W2D3AJ2NG6SSTHJKJXOV
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.RootDirectoryInitializer.initialize(RootDirectoryInitializer.java:30)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl.<init>(CryptoFileSystemImpl.java:133)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.newInstance(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:145)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:110)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:16)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent$CryptoFileSystemComponentImpl.cryptoFileSystem(DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent.java:329)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.lambda$create$0(CryptoFileSystems.java:47)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.compute(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:40)
	... 22 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.nio.file.FileAlreadyExistsException: D:\Archiv\d\AH\BZRNKW4KU5W2D3AJ2NG6SSTHJKJXOV
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.createDirectory(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectory(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createAndCheckIsDirectory(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createDirectories(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.FilesWrapper.createDirectories(FilesWrapper.java:23)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.RootDirectoryInitializer.initialize(RootDirectoryInitializer.java:28)
	... 31 common frames omitted
00:15:48.360 [App Background Thread 006] ERROR o.c.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow - Unlock failed for technical reasons.
java.io.IOException: Error during file system creation.
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:53)

I hope I’m wrong, but going through the provided callstack from the log it seems like that some object with the same name as the root data directory already exists.

When a vault is unlocked, Cryptomator creates this root data directory, if it does not already exists. The function used for this throws the exception FileAlreadyExistsException if there exists at least one other object with the same name within the given path.

Can you check manually, if all components of the path D:\Archiv\d\AH\BZRNKW4KU5W2D3AJ2NG6SSTHJKJXOV are directories?

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Not all of these components are directories (aka. folders?). There are 10 folders and 116 .c9r files.

My bad, i asked in a too technical way.

A component of a single path is single part enclosed by path seperators ( \ or /), e.g. the path this\is\a\path consists of the components this, is, a and path.

Hence, my question is if the components Archiv, d, AH and BZRNKW4KU5W2D3AJ2NG6SSTHJKJXOV are all plain, normal directories (and not links, shortcuts, or having any special attributes set).

Thanks for noticing this and for the explanation. I wasn’t aware of that specific meaning of component.

Yes, Windows Explorer categorizes the respective files’ types as directories (“Dateiordner”).

I presume the attributes are limited to those which I can view in the properties window. I’m navigating there and comparing the namely directories to the folders that I can indeed unlock.

The 4 components in question have the attribute “schreibgeschützt (betrifft nur Dateien im Ordner)”.

This is normal and nothing to worry about.

You write that all vaults are located on a HDD. Does this mean they are located on external storage? And what is the filesystem type of the HDD?

And my last question: If the problematic vault is small enough, can you copy it somewhere else and try to open it from there?

Hello again,
in the mean time it has turned out that some of the files that I deemed in the vault were in fact not inside the vault. They were in a different directory.

I suspect that I might have disconnected the storage device which contains the vault while the vault was still unlocked.

I don’t know exactly what happened.

The result is that I have all my files and also can unlock the vault.

So let’s consider the problem solved.