Cannot open vault, Cryptomator always crashes

Hi All,

First of all great application, and nice work !

So far I am not able to open my vault anymore on our macMini MacOS Server.
It is running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 server, every thing up-to date atm.

I want to mount our vault on this server, which is btw over 1 TB but have been unable to do so.
The vault is based in a Google Drive location, in the My Drive section.
Google Drive is mounted as a disk using NetDrive 3, where NetDrive 3 uses Fuse I think.

When I open the vault, it mounts it the first few seconds.
And when trying to open the folders inside the vault finder is loading, and takes a long time but nothing happends.
After that Cryptomator usually crashes…
After several reboots, and also changing Cryptomator to use Webdav instead of Fuse I have still been unable to open our vault.

I have btw also installed Fuse or Mac as a package in the past.
This is fully up-to date atm.

How can we fix this problem… ?

Thanks in advance,

First of all, open your console.app and check your log files unter ~/Library/Logs/Cryptomator. Additionally you might find information in the system-generated crash logs under User Reports.

thx for fast your response !

i’ve looked inside the log file of cryptomator using console.app from within MacOS.

I would like to post the last line here of the log, it maybe contains the error here, but I’m not sure…

org.cryptomator.ui.model.Volume$VolumeException: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount: gdQDG-TrRSQi_0: not currently mounted
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.FuseVolume.unmountForced(FuseVolume.java:137)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.Vault.lock(Vault.java:130)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.controllers.UnlockedController.lambda$forcedLockVault$4(UnlockedController.java:148)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.util.Tasks.lambda$create$0(Tasks.java:33)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.util.Tasks$TaskImpl.call(Tasks.java:139)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount: gdQDG-TrRSQi_0: not currently mounted
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.ProcessUtil.assertExitValue(ProcessUtil.java:26)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.AbstractMount.unmountForced(AbstractMount.java:61)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.FuseVolume.unmountForced(FuseVolume.java:134)
	... 11 common frames omitted
20:44:47.255 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR o.c.u.controllers.UnlockedController - Forced unmount failed.
org.cryptomator.ui.model.Volume$VolumeException: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount: gdQDG-TrRSQi_0: not currently mounted
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.FuseVolume.unmountForced(FuseVolume.java:137)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.Vault.lock(Vault.java:130)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.controllers.UnlockedController.lambda$forcedLockVault$4(UnlockedController.java:148)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.util.Tasks.lambda$create$0(Tasks.java:33)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.util.Tasks$TaskImpl.call(Tasks.java:139)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.CommandFailedException: Command failed with exit code 1. Expected 0. Stderr: umount: gdQDG-TrRSQi_0: not currently mounted
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.ProcessUtil.assertExitValue(ProcessUtil.java:26)
	at org.cryptomator.frontend.fuse.mount.AbstractMount.unmountForced(AbstractMount.java:61)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.model.FuseVolume.unmountForced(FuseVolume.java:134)
	... 11 common frames omitted`Preformatted text`

Perhaps there is something going wrong with fuse to mount the vault… ?

According to this line :

So far I cannot find any raports of cryptomator within the userrapports folder of MacOS.

Nah, this only indicates that some point in time your unmount failed because the drive has already been unmounted.

If the process crashed, there will most likely not be any log of this event in the cryptomator log, as the process can (obviously?) no longer log anything. Instead the operating system takes over, dumps the state of the process into the crash log.

I asked about the Cryptomator log anyway, since it might contain some clues regarding problems when accessing files on NetDrive. Looking for I/O Errors.

ok, I thought this was the log info directly from cryptomator… ?

This was pulled from ~/Library/Logs/Cryptomator .
So this is not the good location… ?

Yes, this is the correct log file created by Cryptomator.

However, you said the process crashed. In this case there is also a crash log at the other location.

ok thx,
I have looked into the User Reports location, but so far I cannot find any log related to cryptomator.
Maybe I am not looking in the right location… ?

ok, so I have tested again with the new 1.5.0 Alpha 1 release today, and now it works fine with NetDrive 3.

Maybe this new release has some bug fixes that worked for me… ?

Just wanted to note this info here…

Regarding the fuse integration nothing really changed… :thinking:

ok, so you mean fuse is now integrated you mean… ?

And UI change then also… ?

No, I mean: We didn’t change our integration of the fuse library on our side. Neither did we update fuse-related stuff.

?