Cannot copy file directly from vault to folder requiring elevation of privileges

• Windows 10 x86-64 (1909) w/ all available updates
  • Cryptomator 1.5.5 (Dokany) vault on Google Drive

I ran into an issue where I could not copy/paste a file that originated in my vault to a subfolder of C:\Program Files (x86)\ (I wouldn’t be surprised if this didn’t also apply to C:\Program Files\ or any other folder that requires elevated permissions.)

After hitting CTRL-V to paste in the destination folder, I get the expected UAC prompt. The window title is “Destination Folder Access Denied”. The content of the pop-up window reads:

“You’ll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder”.

When I click on “Yes”, I get an error pop-up with the following text:

*X:* (my mount location for vault) is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you’re connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can’t be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

I ended up copying the file to a temporary location on C: as an interim step before copying to the final destination folder.

I’m not sure if this is behaving as expected or not. I did try to search to see if someone else had previously reported a similar problem. It’s possible someone has an I just didn’t use the right combination of search terms…

Or, is this another facet of the issue described in this FAQ entry? Cryptomator on Windows: Accessing your vault with admin priviliges

Thanks in advance!

Yes.The sol called “User elevation” does not work with Dokany at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

I hope I remember this the next time I try to do something like this again. So I don’t come to report a problem that’s already known about. :grin:

1 Like