Hey I’m new to Cryptomator and I plan to use it to keep my data safe in Mega.nz. I have a few questions regarding vault’s integrity.
- Can I have file sync enabled while the vault is unlocked?
- Initially I thought there is a 1 to 1 correspondence between my files and files inside “d” directory in vault. But I see that “d” directory can actually contain more files. Are those additional files some kind of dictionaries? What if they are lost?
- Is it possible to irreversibly damage the entire vault?
- Is abrupt PC shutdown during vault being unlocked dangerous?
- Is the following scenario possible?
- I change some files in an unlocked vault
- Automatic sync to the cloud starts
- I lose internet connection and don’t notice it, some transfers are not done
- I delete local copy of the vault
- Vault in the cloud is completely damaged and unusable
- I performed an experiment. I created a vault with ~5000 files, 140MB total. I started deleting files from “d” directory and mostly it resulted in missing files in the vault, which I expected. But deleting some files finally caused the vault to lose access to the majority of remaining data. Right now my “d” directory is about 80MB, while data after mounting is 0.5MB, so clearly majority of data is inaccessible. Can I fix this?