After creating a Vault, it's not(!) encrypted and accesable online via Nextcloud in Browser

Hi there!

I recently installed cryptomator to give it a shot.

I created a vault via filebrowser in my nextcloud folder and copied some testfiles in it.
I closed the vault & cryptomator, because I want to have a look on the encrypted folder, so I logged into nextcloud via browser.
Surprisingly the folder is not encrypted. All files are readable. I’m really suprised about this circumstance, because after creating another vault, encrypt it, closed it, an logged in via browser, it’s also not encrypted.
I’m relatively sure, that I’ve done no mistake in creating the vault with the (really easy) described steps in cryptomator.

I know - it sounds stupid to describe a dysfunctional basic function of cryptomator. Maybe someone has some advice for me.

I’m on Manjaro Linux.

Thanks in advance!

flux

After trying to access the created vault’s from another computer, I got this errorlog:

org.cryptomator.cryptolib.api.UnsupportedVaultFormatException: Tried to open vault of version 999, but can only handle version 7
	at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:117)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:108)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptolib.v1.CryptorProviderImpl.createFromKeyFile(CryptorProviderImpl.java:40)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule.java:41)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.provideCryptor(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:56)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:43)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.get(CryptoFileSystemModule_ProvideCryptorFactory.java:11)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:110)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.get(CryptoFileSystemImpl_Factory.java:16)
	at dagger.internal.DoubleCheck.get(DoubleCheck.java:47)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent$CryptoFileSystemComponentImpl.cryptoFileSystem(DaggerCryptoFileSystemProviderComponent.java:337)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.lambda$create$0(CryptoFileSystems.java:47)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.compute(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystems.create(CryptoFileSystems.java:40)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:301)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:93)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.nio.file.FileSystems.newFileSystem(Unknown Source)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.newFileSystem(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:134)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.createCryptoFileSystem(Vault.java:130)
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:147)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:100)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:81)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:44)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hey and welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face:,

This means you have on the second computer where you tried to open the vault not Cryptomator in the latest 1.6.x version available but an old 1.5.x

Updating to the latest version of Cryptomator will solve this unlock “problem”. The reason for this is that we updated with version 1.6.0 the vault format which is not compatible with the old 1.5.x versions of Cryptomator.

Oh but I first missed this part. There shouldn’t be any plaintext files in the Nextcloud when working with Cryptomator. After unlocking the vault, you need to place all files and folders you want to have encrypted into the new opened mount point. Maybe this video helps to understand it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9A0zihHZ14

1 Like

Hey SailReal!

Thank you, for your quick reply. :fist_right: :fist_left:

I solved the “issue” myself. I’m sorry to say that: I just copied the files in the wrong, “root-” folder of cryptomator.

Well, I’m sorry for creating an unnecessary topic.

Thank you so much and go on with that great piece of os-software! :muscle:

flux

1 Like