Accessing Encrypted Files from External Drive on Another Computer

Hello [Community Name],

I hope you’re doing well. I have a question regarding the use of Cryptomator, and I’m hoping someone can provide some guidance.

I currently have a vault containing encrypted files (created on my computer) stored on an external hard drive. My question is, if I take this external hard drive to my other computer, which also has Cryptomator installed, would I be able to open the encrypted files on the second computer?

I appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide on this matter. Thank you in advance!

Hi.
Yes. Just add the existing vault to your cryptomator app.
https://docs.cryptomator.org/en/latest/desktop/adding-vaults/

1 Like

Be careful, not all cryptomator versions open all vault versions (each cryptomator supports only one vault version). If your vaults were created using a much older cryptomator version then you should NOT try to open them using a much newer version that uses a different vault format as it might ask you to auto-migrate the files which is something you might not want to do at that time, or something you might prefer to do manually by decrypting the old vault and then copying into the new vault.

If both computers already use the same cryptomator version then yes, it will open the vault just fine as expected.

Thanks for answering.