Unexpected Files in root of Google Drive

Hi,
I am on Android App 1.5.3.
Today I noticed that there were quite a few .c9r files in
C:\Users\cry\Google Drive

These files are being created automatically whenever I unlock the Android app.
I assume that automatic Photo Upload creates these files, even though I had defined a subfolder under google drive.

In any case: How do I access the orphaned .c9r files?

Thanks in advance

Hey and thanks for your feedback.

We’ll try to reproduce this. If you find out more details please let us know!

Edit: This shouldn’t have any influence on this problem, but I would still recommend to update to the latest version 1.5.7.

Perhaps it has to do with renaming the Photo folder.
I created a new folder test and let cryptomator upload a couple of pics.
Then I logged out and renamed the folder to C:\Users\cry\Google Drive\0test from cyptomator win.
When I started the android app again, Google Backup & Sync started creating files in C:\Users\cry\Google Drive.

Before I noticed the issue, I think I had created the folder photo with the android app. For any strange reason the folder ins named Photo now. I doubt that I renamed it myself. So it might be a renaming issue of Windows or Google Sync.
In any case the cryptomator android app should issue a warning, if it can’t find it’s folder for autoupload.

The main question remains:
How do I decrypt the files in C:\Users\cry\Google Drive?

Indeed, we can reproduce the problem that the auto uploaded files were placed in the root of the Google Drive Cloud when deleting or moving away the folder chosen for auto upload.

There exists already a warning which will be displayed when this problem happens but the exists check fails in case of the auto upload and Google Drive and then the auto upload files will be placed inside to root of the cloud :confused:. We just fixed the problem.

So that these files could be easily decrypted again, you would have to copy them into the folder where they should be, which is not so easy because by renaming or deleting them you don’t know exactly which path the folder had in the cloud before…

The other variant would be our Sanitizer, but it doesn’t support vault format 7 yet because we want to integrate this tool directly into the Cryptomator application.

The easiest solution would be if you still have the pictures on your phone and could upload them manually again :see_no_evil: .

Sorry for the inconvenience, we have fixed the problem of the auto upload in Google Drive in version 1.5.8 and we will publish it ASAP. Thanks again for reporting this problem!

Thank you for your reply.
Yet I was unable to restore the files.
I need a way to decrypt it.
When will this tool be available?
For me it does not have to be included in the app.

By the way: I was able to retrieve a backup in which some of the files that ended up in the root folder were not yet converted to the new format.
How do I decrypt these as they are outside the vault structure north of the masterkey location?

Sorry for the late response!

I would recommend to restore the vault in format 7 that you’ve all your files back, also the pictures that were taken after the migration. So assuming you’re in format 7.
Then follow this steps:

1. Create a copy of the masterkey.cryptomator file of the vault
  2. Open the masterkey.cryptomator file in a text editor and change the following
    1. "version": 7 to "version": 6
    2. Change the value of "versionMac" to the "versionMac" of this vault in version 6. Use it from your backup or look through the masterkey.cryptomator.XYZ.bkup files to find the value.
    3. save and close the file
  3. Use the Sanitizer in decryptFile mode. Provide the vault path and passphrase and press enter
  4. Provide the full path to the file to decrypt in your root of the cloud, enter
  5. Provide a full path to a file where you want to have the decrypted file, enter
❯ java -jar sanitizer-0.16.jar decryptFile -vault /home/julian/test --passphrase t
# Cryptomator vault sanitizer v0.16 #

Enter absolute path of an encrypted file: /home/julian/WXG0Nok5uMpOsAqNAiSuwMUBkFolajw=.c9r
Enter absolute path of decrypted output: /home/julian/foo.txt
File successfully decrypted.

Using this script you can restore the missing file extension. The name of the file is unfortunately not recoverable.

Last but not least change back the "version" and "versionMac" values in the masterkey.cryptomator. Now all files should be back and you can continue use this vault.

Side node: We released Android version 1.5.8-beta1 a week ago which fixes the problem that you figured out. Soon the version will also be available in the release channel.

2 Likes

I was able to recover my files.

What a relief!

Thank you very much.

Even though it was not the most pleasant experience, it still reassured me that you guys know what you are doing and you care.

Quality of service shows when things go wrong and can be fixed perfectly.

2 Likes