Sync local hosted Cryptomator encrypted files with local not encrypted directory

Helo,

I am searching for an easy way to Sync local hosted Cryptomator encrypted files with local not encrypted directory.

The scenario is to host Cryptomator encrypted vault locally (with a cloud sync but this is less important for my inquiry), and find an easy way to sync the files from the encrypted vault to a local not encrypted directory.

Sory in advance if this was mentioned earlier in the forum + maybe there is updated info regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am using Carbon Copy Cloner to sync files in realtime, but you can probably use any tool to sync your files from the Encrypted to the local unencrypted folder.

Major downsize with Cryptomator is; This only works till the next reboot of your Mac. Cryptomator doesn’t load the Vault on the same “location” after a reboot, so your sync tool can not find the encrypted files anymore. You need to go to your sync tool again and change the source location. As far as I know the developers can’t make the location static.

which OS are you on?

Depending on the volume type, you can select a custom mountpoint in the vault options, which is a fixed, not-changing directory on your system.

1 Like

Can you tell me how to configure this? I am using a Mac.

I am on Windows and using this:

But I guess any other of the available backup solutions will work as well.

1 Like

You need to install macFuse or FUSE-T and select one of them in the Cryptomator preferences.

For each vault, where you want to have fixed mountpoint:

1. Lock vault
  2. Open vault settings
  3. Go to tab “Mounting”
  4. Choose for mount point “Custom directory” and select in the directory picker an empty directory somewhere in your user home folder.
  5. Close vault settings.

From now on, when you unlock your vault, it is mounted into the specified directory.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I will try this later.

You want to take all files in a vault and sync them to another folder on your computer so that all the files that are in your vault are all of the sudden not in a vault anymore is this correct?

Which operating system are you running Cryptomator on?

If you would like to simply be able to unlock a vault sync the files to another folder and then perhaps lock the wall again there is a free open source utility that might work for you.

It’s called Rclone. It’s a simple command line utility but it is capable of easily keeping two folders synchronized. Locally, or in the cloud.

You would simlpy run:

rclone sync c:\users\me\vault c:\users\me\unencrypted

I can help you with the syntax. You can put the command in a batch file.

1 Like

I am using windows. I wish to keep one copy of the files inside Cryptomator vault (encrypted) + second copy in a local directory (not encrypted), and find a way to sync the unencrypted directory with the vault one (needless to say: after mounting the vault).

Michael suggested “PersonalBackuo” software. I will try it later.

Your suggestion was Rclone. I will try it later. If you can give more tips or help regarding Rclone it would be great.

Thanks for all the members that contributed to the discussion so far.

1 Like

Happy to help combining cryptomator and rclone.

I use this utility everyday.

Rclone can mount over 50 cloud servers. I use it on Windows, Android, and Linux.

I do most of my document storage on Google Drive and I also have a pcloud account and that’s my backup server for Google Drive. I use rclone to keep my Google Drive and my pcloud drive files in sync with each other.

My vaults live in the cloud.

You can synchronize remote to remote, local to remote, local to local.

Today i tried Syncovery, a software that i already own, but did not occur to me it could be usable with Cryptomator. I do not know if it can open and mount Cryptomator vault so i used it after manually starting Cryptomator and mounting the vault. The results seem to be great. It is a huge step for me.

Rclone looks to be very advanced, but it seems that it does not have graphical interface, and needs to be learned deeply. For my needs it looks too much.

Thanks

1 Like

No problem. If you own it that’s great. It costs $100 US which is too much for me.

Rclone does take some practice. There is a gui configuration tool, but basic operation is command line driven.

If you change your mind let me know and I’d be more than happy to assist you.

1 Like