Show your setup and usage of Cryptomator

In this topic we would like to offer the possibility that everyone who wants to can share his setup around Cryptomator with the community. Especially for new users new possibilities of use become visible and maybe also for power users.

To give an example how this could look like, my setup:

• Used version: Linux and Android
  • Cloud locations: Nextcloud on my server and local folder synced using Syncthing
  • Vaults:
    • Crypted: From rental agreement over study material to sailing trips
    • Pictures: All my pictures (>150GB)
    • Trucht: Shared vault used in my charity association for all the organisation and administration
    • Mayday: Local vault synced using Syncthing and includes a copy of passport, credit and insurance card, emergency contacts etc. . This vault is used e.g. when my wallet is stolen. Here I use Syncthing because the data is not stored permanently in my cloud (after all, my most sensitive data), but only synchronized between the clients.
  • Backup strategy: Incremental, using two independent physical hard drives

ubuntu

Now I’m really interested how you’re using Cryptomator :wink: .

2 Likes

Hello,

I have GoodSync (not free) to sync my clear files with uncrypt Cryptomator Vault (WebDAV).
I choose to sync on demand.

And my encrypted Cryptomator files are backed up in the clouds (always on demand).

2 Likes

Mine is pretty basic.

One Cryptomator vault inside Dropbox. Using the client on iOS (iPad mini Gen4 & iPod Touch Gen6), Android (Galaxy S9), and Windows 10.

Update (2019/11/22): I have now added a vault on a portable 1TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive that holds my home PC backup images and backups of the data I store in Dropbox including previously mentioned vault under Dropbox.

2 Likes
  • Used version : Windows and iOS
  • Cloud locations : SFTP Server from my ISP, OneDrive4Business
  • Vaults :
    • #1 : Backup of my pictures. Synced into the vault with PersonalBackup (> 40 GB)
      Vault is located on SFTP#1, also synced with PersonalBackup
    • #2 : Backup of all my personal documents like insurance, passport, financials, certificates, healthcare, everything… Vault is located on SFTP#2 (> 3 GB)
    • #3 : a Combination of #1 and #2, located on OneDrive, synced with OneDrive Client (for the worst case, I know I’m paranoid)

All vault are also accessed via iOS

2 Likes
  • Used version: Windows only
  • Cloud Locations: OneDrive only
  • Vaults: One vault with subfolders for major classes of items: personal and finance documents, etc.
  • Backup strategy: I use the RealTimeSync component of FreeFileSync to copy any updated/new source documents in real time to the Cryptomator vault.

Both Cryptomator and RealTimeSync are started via startup items in the shell:startup folder. The latter is started directly.

Cryptomator is not started directly because of the annoying fact that it cannot be started to the task tray. To solve this problem I use an AutoHotKey script, as follows:

Run “C:\Program Files\Cryptomator\Cryptomator.exe”
WinWait Cryptomator, , 60
if ErrorLevel
{
MsgBox, Cryptomator did not start
}
else
{
Sleep 1000
WinClose Cryptomator
}

Since my vault is opened automatically, the WinClose statement does not terminate Cryptomator, rather it closes only the main console window and continues running in background task tray.

Overall this is all working quite smoothly and I don’t have to remember any manual steps if I’ve updated any source documents. They simply get synced to the vault and then to OneDrive cloud.

Hopefully the next release of Cryptomator will support startup to task tray directly so that the AHK script will no longer be needed.

6 Likes

Used version: AppImage (still hope for Flatpak version) and Android Play Store
Cloud location: -
Vault: have several separated vault sync with help from Syncthing. Most is one-way sync (send only at Linux and receive only at Android in syncthing) because doing ‘something’ in small screen is sucks, and one vault (local vault shared folder syncthing) with send and receive setting when i need to do two-way sync from and to linux-android.

also have vault in my flashdisk (for really if i mess up with my linux and or android), have several FD in several ‘place’,

1 Like