Non-encrypted filename visible

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask or already answered, i couldnt’ find anything.

I’m using the windows 10 desktop app and have had no troubles so far, it’s been great. However i use it with nextcloud and i noticed nextcloud was throwing errors about some sync issue so i went to investigate and to my surprise found freetext filenames in the encrypted volume

As you can see the code files are visible at the end of a standard cryptomator obfuscated path. I guess it’s possible that this is some weird windows caching thingo but even if it is that seems bad, but also the fact Nextcloud was having issues with these files suggests maybe something else going on.

I could also be misunderstanding something entirely, though i can pretty much guarantee i never copied anything directly into the cryptomator location, which i more or less confirmed by removing (from the unencrypted volume) that code folder path and now there are no exposed filenames when i search the encrypted location.

NOTE: I tried to put two pictures, one showing the unencrypted volume with same filenames, but as a new user i can only post one.

Have you tried to navigate to F:\nextcloud\secure_larger\d\C5\5W…\tP… and checked what’s in there?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I needed to nab a restore and just did a search for .py files and found the following

Interestingly, the size of the encrypted volume does not match that (i.e. is significantly larger) than the unencrypted mounted volume suggesting there’s a bunch of stuff that cryptomator is ignoring. I guess it’s possible i copied stuff across to the wrong spot but i’ve no idea how it would get a partially obfuscated path then. Is it maybe relataed to code extensions?

Also did some more comparisons of non-encrypted file types. I also find that even accounting for this the encrypted volume is about 10% larger than the non encrypted, is that about expected for the amount of padding etc cryptomator encryption uses?

10% sounds a lot.

However, this comparison is on a per-file basis. The vault contains some more bytes because of its directory structure (e.g., each directory has a directory file with 36 bytes in size, or long filenames have a separate file for its long filename). But yeah, 10% still isn’t plausible.