I’d like to throw my hat into the ring on the ‘Lock Failed’ issues that seem a lot more prevalent since the deprecation of Dokany and now being set to ‘Automatic’ for volume type.
I’ve done some of my own homework on versions ranging from 1.7.5 to now 1.9.0 (on Windows 11 Pro/Version 22H2/OS build 22621.1778) and can join in the conclusion of images definitely being the source issue or where to aim at. Where I differ is that it doesn’t seem to be the actual opening of images or specific extensions that are the problem so much as thumbnails.
At first I thought Cryptomator had an issue with WebP, so I set those aside and brought in some standard JPGs. That worked. Then on a whim did some inner properties checking and used that ‘Folder pictures’ on the Customize tab and clicked & applied restore to default. I don’t know what exactly that does and it could be hit or miss on applying, but all the sudden the WebP images being in the Vault didn’t cause any problems.
Sometimes putting said problematic items that had a thumbnail into a New Folder in the vault would allow it to safely lock again and I just did my last test on switching to ‘Details’ view and while initially it had a problem on ‘Large Thumbnails’, cutting off the thumbnail functionality sorted it out.
This final test was spurred on by the most recently updated Github issue involving ‘Lock Failed’ problems. Except that, for me, switching directly to local still mostly didn’t matter.
I am a big fan of Cryptomator but this ‘Lock Failed’ issue is going to make my sporting attitude toward competition — I also use ProtonDrive — become a lot more narrow. It’s not healthy to suggest to your consumers that an encrypted local storage & cloud-assisting back up service should be treated with a pinch of hesitation and cynicism.
Because I also can’t stress enough how important it is to have stable & functioning software.
Day Later Update before I even got to finish posting this:
On a whim, I decided to search for the possibility of batch loading thumbnails — something i’ve hoped for on Windows anyway for years now — and came across a 3rd party program called WinThumbsPreloader
(A more up to date forked version of the original)
I started testing it on a single folder and then locking, then a few more, then a large batch, before finally getting all the items and folders I wanted done and now the Vault locks with no issue. I’ve also tested it on other Vaults I was having similar issues with and mass preloading thumbnails seems to have dealt with most of the symptoms. Solving the issue without this is another matter.