Dokan vs Webdav Testing

Hi All,

I’m having some performance issues with large files and figured I would do some troubleshooting/testing.

I’ve read all about Webdav and Dokan, but have a few specific questions:

1. For my current vaults, how do I tell whether they are Dokan or Webdav?

2. I tried to create a vault, but it didn’t give me the option to choose Dokan or Webdav? How would I go about creating two different types of vaults for testing purposes?

3. If I found one better than the other for my purpose, and my current vault is not the right type, is there a conversion process or do I just create a new vault and ‘copy/paste’ over to it?

FYI…I am currently on Win10 and running Cryptomator 1.5.10

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

The filesystem is not vault specific. You do configure it in the app settings (2nd tab)

See answer 1. That means also, that you cannot have a vault with filesystem dokany and one with WebDAV at the same time.

There is no conversion needed as this setting does not affect the encryption. It’s just the virtual file system. You can switch the settings and change from WebDAV to dokany (and vice versa) at any time. Just change the app configuration and restart the app.

Please keep in mind that windows WebDAV cannot handle files bigger that 4GB. So if you want to store files bigger than that in your vault, you’ll have to choose dokany.

Thanks you so much Michael.

"There is no conversion needed as this setting does not affect the encryption. It’s just the virtual file system. You can switch the settings and change from WebDAV to dokany (and vice versa) at any time. Just change the app configuration and restart the app."

Is there any risk switching back and forth? Should I backup the files first?

You should always have a backup in place because there are risks everywhere :slight_smile:
(but I never had a problem with it)

1 Like