Can create folders with same spelling but different capitalization

CM allows to create folders with same spelling but different capitalization e.g. \Test and \test in an encrypted volume. Hence one folder shadows the other, visible is only the content of one folder - in aforementioned example \Test.

Even the files of the other folder are still on disk, this may lead to confusion and in some circumstances even data loss. I guess it is an Dokany issue.

Setup is:

• Cryptomator 1.5.16
  • Dokan Lib 1.4.1.1000
  • Windows 10 20H2

Best,
Hrundi

I can reproduce that, but it is not only reproducable with dokany. Also with WebDAV, but slightly different.
I did some tests:

1) WebDAV

• Created folder 1 “test”
  • Created folder 2 “TEST”
  • Folder 2 disappears instantly after creation. After a explorer refresh, both folders are visible
  • Created a file X within folder 1, folder 2 does not show this file X
  • Created a file Y within folder 2, folder 1 does not show this file Y

Now I have 2 folders with “same” name and different content. Closing/Reopening the vault does not change this. Seems both folders are working independent.

• Deleted folder 1, both folders disappear. After a file-explorer refresh folder 2 is visible again, but inaccessible (Error: path not not available)
  • Closing the vault, closing explorer, reopen the vault, reopening explorer brings back folder 2 with file Y in it. (and vice versa)

Dokany

• Created folder 1 “test”
  • Created folder 2 “TEST”
  • Folder 2 disappears instantly after creation. After a explorer refresh, both folders are visible
  • Created a file X within folder 1, folder 2 also shows this file X
  • Created a file Y within folder 2. Looking in folder 1 does only show file X. Switching back to folder 2, file Y is gone.
  • Trying to create file Y in folder 2 again result in the question if I want to change the name into “file Y (2)”, so the system is detecting the file Y in folder 2
    Trying to create file Y in folder 1 (so check if the behavior is the same). File can be created.
    Switching back to folder 2: both files are available. (I really dont know what happend with the first file Y that I created in folder 2)

Now I have 2 folders with “same” name and same content. Closing/Reopening the vault does not change this. Seems both folders show each others content as well.

• Opening both files in folder 1 works
  • Opening file X in folder 2: error: not available
  • Opening file Y in folder 2 works
  • Deleted folder 1, both folders disappear. After a file-explorer refresh folder 2 is visible again and accessible, but has only file Y in it. (and vice versa)

Conclusion: This is obviously strange. I have created GitHub issue (#1654) for further investigation.

I wrote a small article about case sensitivity in Cryptomator vaults:

Oh, and regarding the described bug. I cannot reproduce it with the latest Dokany. @hrundi If you update your Dokany, does the bug still occur?