Unable to open Vault, Data trapped

On PC, instead of asking me for a password, it asks me to create one. Then nothing happens.

On Mac, I get the following error. Can anyone help?

java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Users/a140/Sync/Safe6TB: Not a vault directory
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.VaultListManager.add(VaultListManager.java:56)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.addvaultwizard.ChooseExistingVaultController.chooseFileAndNext(ChooseExistingVaultController.java:81)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.reflect.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:76)
	at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor48.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.reflect.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:273)
	at com.sun.javafx.fxml.MethodHelper.invoke(MethodHelper.java:83)
	at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$MethodHandler.invoke(FXMLLoader.java:1784)
	at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$ControllerMethodEventHandler.handle(FXMLLoader.java:1670)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:49)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Node.fireEvent(Node.java:8885)
	at javafx.scene.control.Button.fire(Button.java:203)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior.ButtonBehavior.mouseReleased(ButtonBehavior.java:206)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.inputmap.InputMap.handle(InputMap.java:274)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler$NormalEventHandlerRecord.handleBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:247)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:80)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3890)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1885)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2618)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:409)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:299)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.lambda$handleMouseEvent$2(GlassViewEventHandler.java:447)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.runWithoutRenderLock(QuantumToolkit.java:412)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:446)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:556)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:942)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.mac.MacView.notifyMouse(MacView.java:127)

Seems like he cannot find your Masterkey file. Please check if it’s available in your vault root folder.

Hey Michael, thanks for the quick reply.

The masterkey file (named “masterkey.cryptomator”) is there, and is what I click on in order to try to open it while on PC. The screen then pops up asking me to create and confirm a new password, whereas it used to request my password to open the vault.

It has been a while since I opened that particular vault, but I don’t recall changing anything prior to encountering this issue.

This dialog should only open when you try to create a new vault, instead of adding an existing one

The error message states, that your directory is not a valid cryptomator vault.
This can be caused by (as far as I remember):

1. masterkey.cryptomator was renamed (not the case here as it seems)
  2. masterkey.cryptomator not readable (by the system user who is running cryptomator)
  3. the “d” folder within your vault does not exist or is not accessible (by the system user who is running cryptomator)
    Can you check 2 & 3 please?

Can you give some more information about your setting.
System and Version, Cryptomator Version, Used virtual drive adapter (WebDAV/Dokany) and if Dokany which version.
Where is your vault located? Is it synced online (I assume yes), is any “files on demand” function activated?
Does the user wich started cryptomator has access to the vault path?
As you wrote you havent touched the vault quite a while, did you already migrate to vault version 7 and also to the latest cryptomator version?