Problem startin Crptomator on elementary os

Hi,
I just setup elementary os 5.0 Juno on top I installed cryptomator using apt-get install cryptomator.
When I start the window from cryptomator starts up and directly a popup saying something about update-check, but this popup window is not completely visible, and I can do nothing on the app.
Following the logfile the version of cryptomator is 1.4.6.
Following is a screenshot from the app:
and the contents of the logfile:

16:28:08.072 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.4.6 on Linux 4.15.0-47-generic (amd64)
16:28:08.189 [main] INFO  o.c.launcher.IpcProtocolImpl - Received launch args: 
16:28:08.408 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - JavaFX application started.
16:28:08.650 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.ui.controllers.MainController - Unable to setPreferencesHandler, probably not supported on this OS.
16:28:32.852 [Thread-0] INFO  o.c.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Goodbye.

And the output from the app, when I start in terminal:

cryptomator
16:47:00.377 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - user.language: de
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - user.region: null
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - logback.configurationFile: null
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - cryptomator.settingsPath: ~/.config/Cryptomator/settings.json:~/.Cryptomator/settings.json
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - cryptomator.ipcPortPath: ~/.config/Cryptomator/ipcPort.bin:~/.Cryptomator/ipcPort.bin
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - cryptomator.keychainPath: null
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - cryptomator.logDir: ~/.local/share/Cryptomator/logs
16:47:00.381 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.Environment - cryptomator.mountPointsDir: ~/.local/share/Cryptomator/mnt
16:47:00.552 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Attempting to load settings from /home/carlo/.config/Cryptomator/settings.json
16:47:00.557 [main] DEBUG org.cryptomator.common.settings.SettingsProvider - Attempting to load settings from /home/carlo/.Cryptomator/settings.json
16:47:00.889 [main] INFO org.cryptomator.launcher.FileOpenRequestHandler - Unable to setOpenFileHandler, probably not supported on this OS.
16:47:00.913 [main] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - Starting Cryptomator 1.4.6 on Linux 4.15.0-47-generic (amd64)
16:47:01.030 [main] INFO  o.c.launcher.IpcProtocolImpl - Received launch args: 
16:47:01.252 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  org.cryptomator.launcher.Cryptomator - JavaFX application started.
16:47:01.495 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO  o.c.ui.controllers.MainController - Unable to setPreferencesHandler, probably not supported on this OS.
^C16:48:45.204 [Thread-0] INFO  o.c.launcher.CleanShutdownPerformer - Goodbye.

Iā€™m new to cryptomator, use it since two weeks on windows and android.
Would be great, if someone could help me with this problem
thanks in advance
Carlo

Interesting. Donā€˜t know what causes this problem.

However, I think you can workaround this problem by manually setting checkForUpdates (not sure about the exact spelling) in ~/.config/Cryptomator/settings.json to true or false, whatever you prefer.

Thanks for the answer, I thought already that I can do something in that file, but until now there is no file settings.json and I have no clue about the format of that file. Can you give me an example?

I have found an example of the file on my windows installation.
Copied the params which, I think are used to control the app, not those about driectories.
After that, the popup does not appear anymore, but I can still do nothing with the app.
When I start from terminal I get this message at the end:
INFO o.c.ui.controllers.MainController - Unable to setPreferencesHandler, probably not supported on this OS.
Maybe thatā€™s the problem.
I checked the java version and it is :
java -version
openjdk version ā€œ10.0.2ā€ 2018-07-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.4)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.2+13-Ubuntu-1ubuntu0.18.04.4, mixed mode)

Maybe there is still something missing, how can I check if all the requirements are met

That is not a problem. The PreferencesHandler is merely useful for the [cmd]+, shortcut on macOS.

We switched to OpenJDK 11 which is a significant change that also affects the UI libraries. There are issues regarding GTK3, maybe this affects Elementary as well. For more infos and a potential workaround, see:

I had something similiar happen to me. I could click through the app itself as if it wouldnā€™t be there.
The only way I could fix that was to run the application as root user via commandline.

Though I ran into further problemsā€¦ Still havenā€™t figured out how to make Cryptomator run on elementary os juno

The issue linked above should be solved with 1.4.7.

Regarding the incorrect window size, this might be a related bug report:

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, but I had no time the last days :hushed:
For me it works with version 1.4.7 under elemetary os so far.
I noticed an other problem, there is the possibillity to assign an own directory where the vault should be mounted, that doesnā€™t work, when I assign my own directory it still mounts under /run/user/1000/gvfs/davā€¦
It is not a problem for me, I can live easily with how it works now :grinning:

thanks for the work :+1:

1 Like

@car_gli You can only use your own mount directory if you are using FUSE as the vault provider. Otherwise this would be bug and should be further looked at :grimacing: When you say that your vault is mounted under /run/user/gvfs/ā€¦ then you are using WebDAV as the vault provider.

@infeo thanks a lot, I was not aware about that.
Great, now it even works better, because I can use my own directory :grinning: