Massive Failure - All Vaults Inaccessible

I have a vault established for each cloud service I have an account with (Dropbox, Onedive, Google Drive, pCloud and Sync). Every day up to today I could successfully open each vault. It is not an incorrect password issue as I use a password manager. Today I cannot access ANY of these vaults. Each one is reporting an error code. I have made no changes to anything, nothing has been moved or deleted, no hardware changes…nothing different…just…boom!!!

I attempted to open each one by going directly to the vault file and no-go. Same error message

Here are the error details for one of them

Error Code S4DB:IV2H:I3UI
org.cryptomator.common.mount.MountPointPreparationException: java.nio.file.FileAlreadyExistsException: C:\Users\will-\.~$Sync Vault.tmp
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.common.mount.MountWithinParentUtil.prepareParentNoMountPoint(MountWithinParentUtil.java:32)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.common.mount.Mounter$SettledMounter.prepareMountPoint(Mounter.java:101)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.common.mount.Mounter$SettledMounter.prepare(Mounter.java:73)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.common.mount.Mounter.mount(Mounter.java:133)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.common.vaults.Vault.unlock(Vault.java:150)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.ui.keyloading.KeyLoadingStrategy.use(KeyLoadingStrategy.java:79)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.attemptUnlock(UnlockWorkflow.java:70)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:60)
	at org.cryptomator.desktop@1.8.0/org.cryptomator.ui.unlock.UnlockWorkflow.call(UnlockWorkflow.java:31)
	at javafx.graphics@19.0.2.1/javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncRun.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.nio.file.FileAlreadyExistsException: C:\Users\will-\.~$Sync Vault.tmp
	... 15 more

I know you have already found this, so FTR: Error S4DB:IV2H:I3UI · cryptomator/cryptomator · Discussion #2891 · GitHub

True - except I’d like to understand why this happened so I can prevent it in the future. What would cause all 5 vaults to become disabled at the same time?

Also, my workaround is to assign a specific drive letter to each vault, which allows me to access it, BUT, I seem to recall it comes at a cost of other functionality.

Again, for the record:

On GitHub you said that you “had an unexplained shutdown of [your] laptop”, which could be causing this, because the mount points have not been cleaned up properly.

Manually (re)moving the .tmp files should solve the issue.

This occurred again, Where (specifically) would I find the tmp files to delete?

BTW - I’m tired of having to go through this “deletion - reconstruction” process every time I have a unanticipated shutdown. So…would a system image backup also include my Cryptomator vaults if they are mounted as virtual drives, or must they be mounted as regular folders to be included in any backup?