Implied global locking

I have a naïve and apparently incorrect view of the utility of Cryptomator as a reliable distributed filesystem.
The following just reinforces this view:

This implies I can access the vault from all my various devices. It implies I can simultaneously access a vault created using iCloud underlying object storage from all my devices simultaneously. Experience dictates otherwise.

So what is it? Is this supposed to provide simultaneous r/w mounted access to the vault, or serial, at-most-one-at-a-time mount? There would have to be a global lock manager.

If the model is at most one at a time, how is the underlying storage object supposed to get a global view when pursuing the mount? If I manually enforce an “at most one at a time” access policy (which is a PITA to reliably enforce) how does Cryptomator reliably arrive at the global synced view prior to mount?

I currently have a vault created with iCloud backing. I copied ~44GB of data from my desktop, resulting in ~65GB of underlying iCloud storage for the vault.

I never got a consistent view of the vault when attempting to mount it from my laptop, so
I deleted the contents of the Vault (rm -rf of the mounted f/s, natch) but the laptop still believes much of the content (about 50%) is still there.

So what is supposed to be the situation here? As implied by the readme.pdf in the iCloud vault storage folder: a reliable distributed filesystem permitting simultaneous access?
A reliable filesystem permitting serial, at-most-one-at-atime access?

I find it to be neither. As such, I believe it is dangerous, in that it implies much, but delivers little.

Please tell me why I am wrong.