Forgot password - Upgrade Vault - Have pwd backup

Hello, I forgot my password, I do have a bkup of the master key. How do I reset/change it? Cryptomator asks me to upgrade my vault to a new format, so nowhere do I see the “password” tab as explained in Password And Recovery Key — Cryptomator 1.6.0 documentation

thank you

Hey and welcome to the Cryptomator Community :slightly_smiling_face:,

First, what exactly do you mean with “I do have a bkup of the master key”? You mean the file masterkey.cryptomator or did you actually create a recovery key (Password And Recovery Key — Cryptomator 1.6.0 documentation) and have access to it? Because if you lost your vault password, you need a recovery key to unlock the vault again. A backup of the masterkey.cryptomator file would not help in this case.

Haha I’m afraid I have the masterkey.cryptomator :smiley:
oh well, thanks for the help!

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. Then your only option is to brute force the password. We have written a tool to do this automatically: https://github.com/cryptomator/cracker

If you know parts of your password and can use it to create a list of possible ones that would be an option, but it can take very very long to find the correct one :confused: (for good reason in other cases^^).

Thank you,very much!