I’m using Cryptomator on Desktop.
From a few days ago, I can’t see certain directories that contain a lot of files.
Luckily I had the unencrypted files, so I recreated the new vault and copied it again, but the problem recurred.
This problem seems to occur on any platform. I have confirmed the problem in the same vault from android, mac and windows.
I’ve tried “FUSE” and “WebDAV” as the mounting method for mac, but both of them also show “File not found” in a specific folder.
Please help me to fix the problems.
I collected debug log, but I couldn’t upload, because I’m new user.
I elevated you to a normal user, you should be able to do this now. Without it I cannot provide further help.
He already uploaded to Dropbox . See 2nd post.
Do you have any missing information?
Do you need to reproduce the environment?
My bad, didn’t noticed it
I looked at the log, unfortunately, it does not contain any helpful info. Right now i’m not sure what the problem here is.
@Tatsuki5274 Does this happen with all your vaults or just this one with this specific file?
Thank you for checking my log.
Does this happen with all your vaults or just this one with this specific file?
This issue only occurs in some directories in some vaults.
Different directories work fine in the same vault.
I tried to reproduce the problem, but I couldn’t.
I remember uploading a file with a long and complex name containing Japanese and symbols from android and then the folder disappeared.
I recreated the vault and uploaded it again from the mac, so I was able to avoid the problem.
If the problem occurs again, reopen it.
That could actually be the thing! We had for a while problems with certain unicode (special/non-latin) characters and thought we fixed it. But today i checked and we missed to set an option in the main application.
@Tatsuki5274 For the affected vault, can you tick the “custom mount options” checkbox in the vault specific options screen and remove the part
-omodules=iconv,from_code=UTF-8,to_code=UTF-8-MAC ? I can imagine that the file with the special characters would reappear then.
Thank you for your solution suggestions.
can you tick the “custom mount options” checkbox in the vault specific options screen and remove the part
I opened the vault again after removing those options but the problem was not resolved.
After trying to reproduce, it may be possible to reproduce the problem by naming this attachment.
This file could not be copied to the vault in my environment.
I hope this file will give you a specific hint of the problem.
ああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああああ「」「「「「「「「「「「「「￥￥￥￥￥￥￥￥￥￥.log (391 Bytes)
Out of interest, I have just tested this with Android and Manjaro (Linux). The problem described does not occur there, I can upload your file from Android to a vault and display/edit it on the Manjaro device.