Cryptomator Error Text

I’ve been using Cryptomator for a while now without issues. This morning, I went to access my 3 existing vaults and all of them say “Cryptomator could not find a vault at this path.” I tried to re-add the vaults, but it says an unexpected error occurred and prompts me to report the error text below. I tried creating a new vault to get a valid master key, copied it into the root directory, and tried to re-add the vault again, but get the same error message again. Can anyone help me with this?

java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /Users/joycejshin/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~setolabs~Cryptomator/Documents/Documents: Not a vault directory
	at org.cryptomator.common.vaults.VaultListManager.add(VaultListManager.java:57)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.addvaultwizard.ChooseExistingVaultController.chooseFileAndNext(ChooseExistingVaultController.java:81)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.reflect.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:76)
	at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor32.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.reflect.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:273)
	at com.sun.javafx.fxml.MethodHelper.invoke(MethodHelper.java:83)
	at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$MethodHandler.invoke(FXMLLoader.java:1859)
	at javafx.fxml.FXMLLoader$ControllerMethodEventHandler.handle(FXMLLoader.java:1729)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:56)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:49)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Node.fireEvent(Node.java:8889)
	at javafx.scene.control.Button.fire(Button.java:203)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior.ButtonBehavior.mouseReleased(ButtonBehavior.java:208)
	at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.inputmap.InputMap.handle(InputMap.java:274)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler$NormalEventHandlerRecord.handleBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:247)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:80)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:234)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)
	at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)
	at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$MouseHandler.process(Scene.java:3856)
	at javafx.scene.Scene.processMouseEvent(Scene.java:1851)
	at javafx.scene.Scene$ScenePeerListener.mouseEvent(Scene.java:2584)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:409)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler$MouseEventNotification.run(GlassViewEventHandler.java:299)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.lambda$handleMouseEvent$2(GlassViewEventHandler.java:447)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.runWithoutRenderLock(QuantumToolkit.java:412)
	at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassViewEventHandler.handleMouseEvent(GlassViewEventHandler.java:446)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.handleMouseEvent(View.java:556)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.View.notifyMouse(View.java:942)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.mac.MacView.notifyMouse(MacView.java:127)

I’m still looking for help with this. I’ll really be in a bind if I’ve lost access to all these files. Can anyone help?

I do not own a Mac, but the error message says that Cryptomator is looking at the given path for a vault structure, but the folder „Documents“ is not a vault. Means the key files in root are missing, and/or the „d“ directory.
You should check if some of the files were deleted, or if they are still there. Maybe you have a backup of your vault you can restore from or compare with.

Ps: crating a new vault and moving the Masterkey file of the new created vault will not work. Every Masterkey file is unique for a vault.

I have not touched the underlying files. I provided a screenshot of what I see when I try to add an existing vault. It looks to me like the files are there, but for some reason, the master key file is not available. I have the cryptomator app installed on both my macbook and my iphone and I’ve provided screenshots of what I see when I try to add an existing vault on my iphone. It says the master key could not be found and you can see it’s not available to select in the image.

Yes. And if your Masterkey file is not there, it’s not a vault anymore. The second file in your screenshot is not normal. Cryptomator does not create and/or name it’s backup files like this. You can try and rename it to „masterkey.cryptomator“. Hoping that only the name of the file was screwed up, not it’s content.

Or you can „restore“ from the backup key file. That’s the file with „bkup“ at the end. Make a copy of that file and rename the copy to „masterkey.cryptomator“

Edit: as the 3rd file in your screenshot is younger that the 2nd one, I recommend to copy/rename that file and thus recreate the Masterkey file from that file.

1 Like