1.5.0 - unable to create vault under Linux Mint 18.3

Hello all,
I did install 1.5.0 but I am not able to create any vault. File system is ext4. I got some strange messages:

org.cryptomator.cryptofs.common.FileSystemCapabilityChecker$MissingCapabilityException: /home/mintuser/Cryptomator/myVault/c/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.c9r: Filesystem doesn't support LONG_FILENAMES
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.common.FileSystemCapabilityChecker.assertLongFilenameSupport(FileSystemCapabilityChecker.java:99)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.common.FileSystemCapabilityChecker.assertAllCapabilities(FileSystemCapabilityChecker.java:57)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.initialize(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:167)
	at org.cryptomator.cryptofs.CryptoFileSystemProvider.initialize(CryptoFileSystemProvider.java:148)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.addvaultwizard.CreateNewVaultPasswordController.initializeVault(CreateNewVaultPasswordController.java:165)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.addvaultwizard.CreateNewVaultPasswordController.lambda$showSuccessScene$5(CreateNewVaultPasswordController.java:152)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.Tasks.lambda$create$0(Tasks.java:33)
	at org.cryptomator.ui.common.Tasks$TaskImpl.call(Tasks.java:139)
	at javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Task.java:1425)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

What went wrong?

Regards
CryptoTux

Is it really ext4 or maybe ecryptfs on ext4?

The latter has a maximum file name limit of 143 chars, while cryptomator requires up to 220 chars. I think @SailReal knows a workaround in this case.

You can check that using e.g. df -Th on the command line.

/dev/nvme0n1p7        ext4                    358G  189G  152G  56% /

but if you also using ecryptfs, you have another entry

/home/julian/.Private ecryptfs                358G  189G  152G  56% /home/julian/Private

Ecryptfs has a recommendation to limit the file names to ~140 chars. If you have this problem, you can create a new ext4 partition where you put only your Cryptomator vaults inside and benefit of the HUGE performance improvement because the files / folders are not encrypted / decrypted twice with ecryptfs and Cryptomator but only by the latter tool.

/dev/nvme0n1p8        ext4                     25G   16G  7,5G  68% /media/cm

Yes, thats it. I was not aware of the extra limitation in name length. I will continue using an additional partition. Thanks for the quick response.

1 Like

My comment in a github issue regarding this problem may also be here of interest: https://github.com/cryptomator/cryptomator/issues/1116#issuecomment-616143126